mtbr member

New derailleur with older shifters

Hi everybody,

I'm in the process of upgrading my hardtail's tired drive train. I've bought a near new XTR crank set and cassette, and am thinking of replacing the rear derailleur at the same time.

Currently the bike runs all 2004 LX, and there's nothing wrong with the shifters, so I'm wondering if I can use one of the new 'shadow' XT or XTR derailleurs with the '04 LX shifters.

I'm also a bit confused about the various options with the derailleur. Running a few searches it seems that a long cage version is the most flexible, but there is a whole heap of jargon like SGS and rapid rise which I don't understand.

So exactly what rear derailleur do I need to work with my '04 LX shifters. And if I replace the front derailleur too, is there anything I need to look out for?

Thanks in advance..

t

mtbr member
    And Shimano rear derailleur will be compatible. The only noticeable difference will be that a Rapid Rise derailleur with your shifters will seem to shifter backwards, so that the indicator will be showing the opposite gear, and pushing the thumb trigger will actually put you in a higher gear. But functionally it will be completely compatible

Also:
    SGS = Long cage
    GS = Medium cage
    Shadow denotes special models that sit closer to the cassette than traditional derailleurs and doesn't stick out from the side of the bike.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the quick reply.

So any shimano rear derailleur is compatible. That's good news.

If I choose a rapid rise derailleur the shifter buttons will reverse? That's not a huge deal I guess, but is it possible to get recent XT or XTR derailleur in rapid rise and non-rapid rise versions, or should I just adapt?

Any issues with the front derailleur?

Thanks again

t

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tubbsy
    Thanks for the quick reply.

So any shimano rear derailleur is compatible. That's good news.

If I choose a rapid rise derailleur the shifter buttons will reverse? That's not a huge deal I guess, but is it possible to get recent XT or XTR derailleur in rapid rise and non-rapid rise versions, or should I just adapt?

Any issues with the front derailleur?

Thanks again

t
    All front derailleurs, SRAM or Shimano, are compatible.
    XT and XTR rear derailleurs are both available as non rapid rise

mtbr member
    Thanks for your help.

Time to go shopping.

tt

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    For what its worth...my new bike came with new XT RapidRise, and after a few weeks, you get used to it and it's great....so I'd say go with whatever you can get a good deal on, either way you'll get used to it...I prefer XT cuz it's cheaper and not much heavier...