mtbr member

New Cranksets and cassette

I'm looking to upgrade my cranks from TruVativ X-Forge, 22-32-42 to a TruVativ Stylo Team 3.3, 22-32-44. Seeing there is more teeth on the bigger chainring will I also have to replace my cassette and chain and will my gears be affected by this, 24 spd.
    Last edited by dirtchick; 06-17-2007 at 11:15 PM.

ups and downs
    The higher tooth count on the front big ring wouldn't be the reason to change the cassette and chain, they will have all worn in together, so you'll need to replace the cassette and chain anyway, and the chain will need to be a couple of links longer.

The bigger ring just means you can go faster in your highest gears with the same cassette, it won't affect climbing in the lower chainrings.

56-year-old teenager
    Aug 2006
    I'd replace the chain anyway, because you'll have to add 2 links to it to have the right length with the new cog. The cassette might be OK, or it might not. It depends on how much you ride, how often you lube or replace the chain, etc.

You'll probably have to move the front derailleur up the seatpost a tad to clear the 2 extra teeth on the big ring.