mtbr member
    May 2013

new crankset sizes

I am new to repair and maintenance. I have a 2004 specialized rockhopper( 2004 specialized rockhopper - BikePedia ). After years if wear and tear my drivetrain is pretty shoddy. I am looking to purchase a new crankset and bottom bracket. My question is what size do i need? I get confused and want to make sure i got the right size before i buy. Looking to spend around $150 and i am a fan of Shimano. Any help and recommendations would be very helpful.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I'm surprised there were not a 100 posts on this. First do you want to replace it your self? You will need a crank puller a bottom bracket tool and maybe a 8mm hex wrench. Most crank pullers come with a 14mm socket if you have bolts rather than allen sockets. Generally all lower priced Shimano and many others will take the same bottom bracket tool. The bottom bracket will have a length posted on it if you want to use the same bottom bracket. The length is not critical some people prefer the crank closer in just make sure there is clearance for the chainrings at the chainstays. The tools will run $20 to $40 a bottom bracket will be $12 to $40 get the cheaper one if you are not sure of the size. Then get on Shimano tech documents and research the crank you want they should have a recommended bottom bracket length. Then decide what gearing you want a 22 32 44 is about standard today 28 38 48 cranks are real cheep. Shimano
    "Dish is illogical." Spoke of Vulcan.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Hey man thanks for the response. I have all the tools, but i still havnt decided which one to get. I really like my bike and don't plan on getting a new frame for years. I am willing to invest a bit of cash to get her running smoothly. I have been thinking of upgrading to a 9 speed. So can anybody tell me what i should consider when choosing between the gearing. I have been looking at this crankset Shimano Deore M590 Crankset W/BB > Components > Drivetrain > Cranksets | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop

mtbr member
    That crankset will be compatible with any 9 or 10sp system. It has a very mountain standard 22/32/42 ring combination. Good price, and nothing wrong with it.