mtbr member
    Mar 2007

New Crankset and BB on a Liquid? (with pics!)

I posted this in the trek sub-forum as well.

I want to replace my single bearing BB and crankset with the FSA V-Drive Megaexo. The thing is, it has external bearings and I am not sure if there is enough clearance for them. There is not a lot of room where the rear triangle meets the seat tube.

Will it work? If not, anyone have recommendations on a good BB/crankset that won't get wobbly after a few months riding (as my pos isis drive ones tend to do)?

Pics:

IMG_1867

IMG_1866

Former Bike Wrench
    I know the external bearing cranksets have clearance issues on GF Sugars (made by Trek). Looks like the Liquid could possibly have the same problem.

Have you considered the Octalink Shimano XT (m752) crankset...they were great and the BB's were quite durable. They can still be found if you look hard enough

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by mountainforce
    the cups are the same diamter as the frame. So your frame has clearance agaisnt the swingarm - thus the Exteranal BB would have clearance. Trek spec'd the Liquids with external BB's before they dropped the frame so id imagine it fits.
    I installed Bontrager X-type cranks on my '03 with no problems.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    If you want max BB life and are riding XC, go find yourself a good square-taper crank like a late-90's Raceface Turbine LP, and a Phil Wood BB. Square-Taper BB's still have the best combination of bearing life and weatherproofness (external bearing BB's are rather susceptible to mud & grim, ISIS bearings are too small to last(although RaceFace's 3 bearing ISIS BB's seem to last pretty well, 2 bearing ISIS BB's don't).

Octalink BB's are another excellent choice, they have the larger, stronger spindle to provide the extra strength to handle big hits (this is why square-taper was moved away from, it isn't up to DH or All Mountain riding) and has better bearing life than ISIS as long as you don't try Dura-Ace BB's.