mtbr member
    Feb 2009

new crankset advice for this bike.

http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCBkM...UNTAIN&eid=103

id like a nicer crankset but im a noob and need help deciding. i was leaning towards a shimano or raceface in the 200 or less price range. id like to do away with the big gear in favor of a bashguard also. really just looking for something a little better thats compatible with the bike. alot of the cranksets ive looked at were for 9speed bikes(this ones an 8)... why would the rear cassette have anything to do with the crankset?

if i sound like i dont know what im talking about its because i dont, sorry lol
    Last edited by mbnewb151; 03-11-2009 at 02:04 PM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    would this one work? even though it says 9 speed?
    http://www.cambriabike.com/shopexd.a...SPEED+CRANKSET

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Are you looking to change out the bottom braket? If not you have to get one of the same type. This one you are looking at is hollowtech. The 9 spd crankset will work with the 8 spd cassette.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    i thought "octalink" was referring to the bottom bracket... it said shimano bb-es25 octalink spline in the specs, which is why i was looking at that particular crankset. again i apologize for being such a noob. id like to upgrade components one the whole bike eventually... i just thought id start with the crankset... havent heard much good about suntour. should i be looking to change out the bb also?
    Last edited by mbnewb151; 03-11-2009 at 03:55 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    The crankset and the bottom bracket have to be of the same type. There are different types in regards to how they attach. Octalink, ISIS, X-type, Square taper. So if you have an octalink BB you need an octalink crankset.

mtbr member