mtbr member
    Oct 2005

New Cranks - 130$ range

Hey, guys I've been sifting through ebay trying to decide what cranks to get. I currently have a Hardrock in which im in the process of upgrading the components. I ride mostly trails and do a few jumps that are there. I need some cranks that can take some abuse. I end up bashing the crank on logs when i try to jump them. I plan on putting a bash guard on later. So my budget is about 130 without a bashguard, but i do think i need a BB. Is this possible? Ideas are greatly appreciated. Thanks Ideas ive been checking : Shimano LX hollowtec, Raceface Evolve, FSA alpha drive. The budget is in Ebay dollars too

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    depending on which hardrock you have you might notice more difference in a better suspension fork. also, it might not be worth upgrading components if you start riding a lot, cheaper drivetrains wear out faster etc.
    that said, i have an LX octalink crank that is just fine, and rather light, but i think the spider is more likely to bend than others. any crank with replaceable, ramped and pinned chainrings using a splined (octalink or ISIS) or external bottom bracket should be fine, though higher quality usually shifts better and lasts longer. make sure you get the right bb spindle length so the chainrings are aligned with the cassette properly (this is called chainline). my brother has a raceface evolve xc and it is very nice. the most important thing is to install the bb and crankarms correctly and make sure your crankbolts are tight!

Quote Originally Posted by smeeg
    Hey, guys I've been sifting through ebay trying to decide what cranks to get. I currently have a Hardrock in which im in the process of upgrading the components. I ride mostly trails and do a few jumps that are there. I need some cranks that can take some abuse. I end up bashing the crank on logs when i try to jump them. I plan on putting a bash guard on later. So my budget is about 130 without a bashguard, but i do think i need a BB. Is this possible? Ideas are greatly appreciated. Thanks Ideas ive been checking : Shimano LX hollowtec, Raceface Evolve, FSA alpha drive. The budget is in Ebay dollars too

Freshly Fujified

Deals to be had

Be patient and you'll find a decent deal. Of the cranks you mentioned, I'd say the newer LX cranks with the external BB would be my choice. You may actually find them at one of the online retailers at a discount. Also, check with Larry at Mountain High Cyclery or Chad at Red Barn, both are very good with prices. Another option would be a set of Truvativ Hussefelts or Holzfellers. While a lot of people have had issues with ISIS splined BB's, I've had my Holzfellers for about a year and have had no problems. I bought them on ebay as new bike take offs, and the cranks, chainrings and a pretty beefy BB cost $90.00, so deals can be found.
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    So, what would be considered a beefy BB ? Oh ya, and doesnt the LX hollowtec have its own BB ?

Freshly Fujified

Gigapipe Team DH

The cranks came with Truvativ's Gigapipe Team DH, which has held up very well.

Bob
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery

banned
    Do yourself a favor and buy the Race Face Turbines from Pricepoint with the SRX bb deal for $160.

Chrome Toaster
    Instead of the LX you can consider the Hone cranks. You should be able to find them for very close to $130, maybe even less. They are intended for fairly agressive riding, and they include the BB.

I'm such a fox
    Jenson currently has OE Truvativ Hussefelt cranks with bash ring for $69.00. That still leaves enough for a bottom bracket.

Space for rent...
    It's only pain......

Freshly Fujified

Here they are-$100.00

Quote Originally Posted by Call_me_Clyde
    Be patient and you'll find a decent deal. Of the cranks you mentioned, I'd say the newer LX cranks with the external BB would be my choice. You may actually find them at one of the online retailers at a discount. Also, check with Larry at Mountain High Cyclery or Chad at Red Barn, both are very good with prices. Another option would be a set of Truvativ Hussefelts or Holzfellers. While a lot of people have had issues with ISIS splined BB's, I've had my Holzfellers for about a year and have had no problems. I bought them on ebay as new bike take offs, and the cranks, chainrings and a pretty beefy BB cost $90.00, so deals can be found.
    On ebay again for $100.00 + shipping.

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-TRUVATIV-HOL...QQcmdZViewItem

DLd
    mtbr member
    Feb 2005

define hypocrite

This is funny.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerk_Chicken
    Do yourself a favor and buy the Race Face Turbines from Pricepoint with the SRX bb deal for $160.

banned
    I know. Don't rub it in. Sometimes deals are too good to pass up.