Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

New Crank Set/brakes

546 views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  MI-29er 
#1 ·
Iam looking into getting a new crank set. I would like to spend about 300 or so. The set Iam looking at is the XT-770 w/BB. Is this a good set or should I spend my money on something else??? Iam also looking to upgrade my brakes to hyd. Current are the bb5. looking at either the Elixir R's in a 185 f and 160 r or the CR's with the same size rotors 185/160. Again do it or my money on a something different????

#4 ·
Not a lot of magic in a crank...what's wrong with the one you've got now? Save the money on the crank so you can spend it on the brakes.

I went with the CR because I wanted the pad contact point lever adjustment. Nice brakes, but I still like my BB7s on other bikes, too.

#5 ·
Oops that would help. Iam 6'2" 200lbs. I ride XC with drops/jumps of 1-4ft. My current set is a 3x9 Shimano FC-442-8-S. My current crank set Iam noticing sounds coming from the BB. Creeking sounds. I 'am guess on this but Iam assuming the crank set is more of the low end crank set. I would like to get something that can take some abuse. Thats why Iam looking. As for the brakes I feel that with my size and riding style I don't have the stopping power that I need. So again I would like to upgrade. Thanks for your input!!:thumbsup:

#6 ·
While the M442 is a fairly low end crank, it can take a beating as much as most. You may just need to give your bottom bracket and cups some cleaning and regreasing, too, it's good to do occasionally. If you get a new external bb crank like the XT (or LX or SLX) you'll still have to maintain the bearings occasionally, they're not bulletproof.

OTOH a new crank comes with new rings and bottom bracket, too so if your rings are worn (or if your bb is shot) then that may be a good way to go.

Cheap way to deal with your stopping power might be to simply put a bigger rotor up front.

Depends how bad you want to spend your $...:D

#7 ·
Well I've been saving some money for awhile. Knowing I wanted to upgrade some parts. I have a new wheel set being built as I type. Also the wife wanted a Pandora Bracelet for xmas so I told her I wanted some new parts for the bike in the same amount I spend on the bracelet. So on that note the wife has some money for me to spend:thumbsup: And the crank set and brakes are the two areas I would like to upgrade.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.