mtbr member
    Mar 2008

new chain - stiff link

i've just instslled a new shimano chain and the link with the endpin is quite stiff. i havn't lubed or ridden the chain since the installation. does anyone have any advice on freeing this link?

CAN YOU DIG IT??!!??!!!??
    Work it side to side a lil bit to loosen up the pin. A lil lateral stressing will usually help a stiff link.
    "Why are you willing to take so much & leave others in need...just because you can?"

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Place the chain with the stiff link across the middle ridge (nearest the threaded barrel) of your chain tool and turn the handle until the connecting pin is pushed just enough to free it - you'll know when by feel. Then do the same from the other side.

Make sure that the pin doesn't portrude out too much on either side of the plates by comparing it to adjacent pins.

Now wiggle the joined link to make sure it has the same amount of lateral play as neighbouring links.

mtbr member
    Jul 2003

standard has it right.....

most chain tools have two seats for the chain, one very close to the pin, the other further away. The one closest is for breaking or assembling the chain, the one furthest away is for freeing a stiff link. Simply put the chain in the seat furthest away from the pin in the oposite of the direction that you installed the new pin. Turn the chain tool pin down until it makes firm contact with the pin in the link, then turn it 1/4 turn further. Remove the tool and check the link. If it's still a bit stiff repeat, only this time make 1/8 turn after frim contact, and check again. From there make sure that the pin that you have just adjusted protrudes from the link the same amount as the surrounding pins in adjacent links. From there, lube and you are good to go.

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"