mtbr member
    Jan 2004

New chain question

My new chain comes packed in 'grease'. Sram...feels really waxy and greasy. What do I do to get it 'bike ready'. There is NO way to put this hunk of grease on a bike.

bi-winning
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan
    My new chain comes packed in 'grease'. Sram...feels really waxy and greasy. What do I do to get it 'bike ready'. There is NO way to put this hunk of grease on a bike.
    i always just put it right on the bike. read the instructions that come with it. i actually think that sram recommends that you don't degrease it.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Shorthills Cycling Club

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by rkj__
    i always just put it right on the bike. read the instructions that come with it. i actually think that sram recommends that you don't degrease it.
    I ride in dry and dusty conditions. There's no way I'd put that kind of a dust magnet on my bike. As stated in my reply in the Tooltime forum, I've been using Tri-Flow to take the grease off and lube the chain. After that, I switch to Pro-Link.

The factory coating might be good for other conditions though.

I Love my Rize

Leave it on

Quote Originally Posted by KevinB
    I ride in dry and dusty conditions. There's no way I'd put that kind of a dust magnet on my bike. As stated in my reply in the Tooltime forum, I've been using Tri-Flow to take the grease off and lube the chain. After that, I switch to Pro-Link.

The factory coating might be good for other conditions though.

The Sram chain factory lube WILL NOT ATTRACT DIRT. The stuff runs so dry it's amazing. IT IS NOT A DUST MAGNET. As a matter of fact it might just be the BEST chain lube I have ever used for any condition bar none and I use Prolink and love it. When I put a new Sram chain on I do not need to relube for at least a month.
    Early to bed early to RIZE makes a man healthy, wealthy <(scratch that) and wize.

RIGHTY on a LEFTY

mtbr member
    Don't degrease it. That'll just take out all the lube from inside the rollers. Your chain will never be as well lubed as it is from day one. If you're really concerned about dust, wipe off the exterior with a rag. That lube dosn't need to be there.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by danoalb
    The Sram chain factory lube WILL NOT ATTRACT DIRT. The stuff runs so dry it's amazing. IT IS NOT A DUST MAGNET. As a matter of fact it might just be the BEST chain lube I have ever used for any condition bar none and I use Prolink and love it. When I put a new Sram chain on I do not need to relube for at least a month.
    I'll try leaving the factory lube on the next time I put a new SRAM chain on one of my bikes. I still have my doubts, but am willing to be proven wrong...