Thread: New Chain Funk?

mtbr member
    Jan 2006

New Chain Funk?

I picked up my new ride earlier this week, and the chain seemed to be covered in a sticky, heavy grease. The shop indicated this was the rust inhibitor that Shimano applies at the factory. Is this product removed with degreaser, or do I just need to let this stuff wear off, and then clean and lube?
    Thanks,
    GM

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    The instructions I got with my shimano chains tells us to remove the cosmoline(sp?), which is used to preserve the chain, and using a degreaser is just fine. You may have to degrease more than once though. Make sure you rinse thoroughly afterward/dry and apply a suitable lube. Let is set for a bit and then wipe off the excess. Sram chains(so I've been told) have a different substance that is designed to be left on.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Thanks Fred, that's exactly the type of guidance I was looking for.
    Have a great weekend

Quote Originally Posted by fred3
    The instructions I got with my shimano chains tells us to remove the cosmoline(sp?), which is used to preserve the chain, and using a degreaser is just fine. You may have to degrease more than once though. Make sure you rinse thoroughly afterward/dry and apply a suitable lube. Let is set for a bit and then wipe off the excess. Sram chains(so I've been told) have a different substance that is designed to be left on.