mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Bonking ... not feelin' well new chain and chainring question

I replaced my Shimano gears and chain with BlackSpire Super Pro chainrings (chuck granny), SRAM pc-991 chain, and SRAM PG-950 cassette. All works well except when the chain is on the granny and the smallest three rear cogs (# 7, 8, 9). On # 9, the pins in the second chainring (which is slightly larger thickness than Shimano) will catch on the connecting (outer) plates on the chain when that combination comes up. It definitely lifts the chain a bit on # 9 , picks at it on # 8, and just rubs on # 7. I tried moving the chainring out a bit, which helped, but not enough to overcome my nervousness about the cranks not being snugged up. Has anyone else had a similar problem? Is it just the extra thickness of the middle ring and something I have to live with (granted, I don't use those gear combos much)?
    Thanks

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    You should not be using those gear combs at all. Generally, the granny ring should only be used with the 3-4 largest cogs.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    You should not be using those gear combs at all. Generally, the granny ring should only be used with the 3-4 largest cogs.

I don't. I'm just a bit worried that maybe something isn't aligned correctly. I just wanted to know if this is the way it is "supposed" to be with this setup, or if something ain't quite right.