mtbr member

new cassette wobbles???

just took the bike for a tune up at the LBS. i got it back today and the cassette has a wobble that i never noticed. it moves perpindicular to the direction of rotation. i pulled it off and nothing looked like it was out of order, but i dont exactly know what i would be looking for. splines were all in good shape, cassette is less than a month old. XT hub, also less than a year. this is more or less my commuting bike but saw about 100-200 trail miles this summer. i never inspected my old cassette if it did this, but i dont think it did. its not a lot of play, but to give you an idea it moves laterally 1-2 mm. just enough to give a clicking feel when i move it. 9 speed 760 cassette, xt hub. i wont e back from work till later tonite if you have questions to help narrow it down, but i would appreciate any feedback on this.
    Last edited by laackund; 01-12-2006 at 12:11 PM. Reason: additional info

mechmann_mtb
    there was something about a bad batch of XT cassettes a few months ago. i don't remember what the issue was exactly.

you might want to try putting a spacer behind the cassette and re-torque the lockring. see if that helps. if that doesn't tighten it up then i would say that the freewheel body must be moving around. i am not sure what the support bearings/bushings are like on your hub, but there is a chance that something went wrong in them and the cassette body is moving around and making it seem like the cassette is loose.

if putting the spacer behind the cassette and retightening it doesn't help things then investigate the freewheel body.

hope that helps.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mechmann_mtb
    there was something about a bad batch of XT cassettes a few months ago. i don't remember what the issue was exactly.

you might want to try putting a spacer behind the cassette and re-torque the lockring. see if that helps. if that doesn't tighten it up then i would say that the freewheel body must be moving around. i am not sure what the support bearings/bushings are like on your hub, but there is a chance that something went wrong in them and the cassette body is moving around and making it seem like the cassette is loose.

if putting the spacer behind the cassette and retightening it doesn't help things then investigate the freewheel body.

hope that helps.

i pulled the cassette off. it is actually the freewheel that is moving around just slightly. is there any way to fix it with out replacing it.?? as a broke college student, i try to do most things myself, but this may be out of my hands. would it something as simple as tightening a few nuts and bolts?

ballbuster

there is...

Quote Originally Posted by laackund
    i pulled the cassette off. it is actually the freewheel that is moving around just slightly. is there any way to fix it with out replacing it.?? as a broke college student, i try to do most things myself, but this may be out of my hands. would it something as simple as tightening a few nuts and bolts?
    a 10mm hollow allen bolt that holds the freehub body to the hub. I doublt it came loose, but who knows.

If there is play between the cassette and freehub body, it could need a spacer between the back of the cassette and the freehub.