Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

new cassette needed? or LBS? Or both

544 views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  jjyoung 
#1 ·
turned my bike in last week for a tune up and a problem with the rear cassette. In the middle gears, mostly #5, when I get up out of the saddle it'll jump teeth. Sometimes one sometimes from a crank 1 and 7 o'clock postition 180 degrees. KRRRRRRR-CHUNK!!!
Took it to the shop, splained the situation and said it could be rear cassette. They tuned it and said it was fine. Took it out and same thing but only in #5 and happens in a 3 chain rings. Took a hard close look and some of the teeth look out of whack. Some bent in a bit more to either side. I'm guessing they didn't catch that since this is a "free" tune as part of their lifetime service if you buy the bike there. I had replaced the chain when it first started doing this and it didn't help. Front crankset is about a year old but the bike is 4.5 years. Derailures and cassette are the original Shimano LX's.
Anyone? thanks. I'm a newbie

#4 ·
Prophet Julio said:
The old cassette is worn and a new chain would make it worse. If you use #5 the most, then that is probably worn the most.
that's what I figured. It's my most used gear.
Strafer - LBS already did a tune up. Tried the barrel adjust before and no luck. Will try again though. Also, I looked at each tooth while the chain was on #5. Some are shorter than others. Some sit in the middle of the link, others to one side or the other.
Thanks doods

#6 ·
kwest10 said:
that's what I figured. It's my most used gear.
Strafer - LBS already did a tune up. Tried the barrel adjust before and no luck. Will try again though. Also, I looked at each tooth while the chain was on #5. Some are shorter than others. Some sit in the middle of the link, others to one side or the other.
Thanks doods
New cassettes look like that, too. You can not tell if the cogs are warn out by looking, only by the type of issues you are experiencing.

#7 ·
I would put the bike in the suspect gear on the cassette and then apply a good amount of pressure with your hand on the crank while sitting on the ground next to the bike. Watch to see if the chain lifts up off the suspect gear on the cassette at all. If it does, the cassette is your problem.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.