mtbr member

New Cables on Race day.

How bad of an idea is that? My RD cable slide out of the RD while riding and it frayed really bad. Brand new cable. UGH.

I am going to put a new cable on tomorrow, two days before a race. Do any of you think that would be a factor in performance?

Trail rider and racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Guppie58
    How bad of an idea is that? My RD cable slide out of the RD while riding and it frayed really bad. Brand new cable. UGH.

I am going to put a new cable on tomorrow, two days before a race. Do any of you think that would be a factor in performance?
    I think you should be fine to replace the cables as long as you get a chance to ride as the cables are liable to stretch and then you can tighten and readjust. Do this for the 2 days prior then on your warmup make sure your happy and do any final slight adjustments if need be.

Usually you can resolve any initial issues fairly quickly so you can relax on race day!
    Trev!

Meh.
    You can stretch the cables by upshifting a bunch of gears up on the shifter while not pedaling, and then tugging on the exposed cable. You should notice quite a bit of slack, undo the pinch bolt, pull it through, tighten, and adjust as neccesary.

Linoleum Knife
    Quote Originally Posted by XSL_WiLL
    You can stretch the cables by upshifting a bunch of gears up on the shifter while not pedaling, and then tugging on the exposed cable. You should notice quite a bit of slack, undo the pinch bolt, pull it through, tighten, and adjust as neccesary.

CABLES DO NOT STRETCH

Ferrules seat in the cable stops and housing seats in the ferrules

But Cables Do Not Stretch.

If cables stretched, you would have to replace them every couple days.

Like he said - put all your gear together, and crank all the levers and shifters 5 or 6 times. Tighten cable pinch bolts and repeat. That should get it as good as it's getting.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by forkboy
    CABLES DO NOT STRETCH
    YES THEY DO. New cables stretch. Once the initial stretch is done, they don't stretch any more. Don't believe me? Put a new cable in old housing, and see if you can stretch it (I can).

Are you talking to me?

Wrongo!

Quote Originally Posted by forkboy
    CABLES DO NOT STRETCH

Ferrules seat in the cable stops and housing seats in the ferrules

But Cables Do Not Stretch.

If cables stretched, you would have to replace them every couple days.

Like he said - put all your gear together, and crank all the levers and shifters 5 or 6 times. Tighten cable pinch bolts and repeat. That should get it as good as it's getting.

New cables do stretch. They also seat themselves in to the housing. Try putting a new cable in to old housing, with the old ferrules, and see what happens.
    gfy

Meh.
    Quote Originally Posted by damion
    New cables do stretch. They also seat themselves in to the housing. Try putting a new cable in to old housing, with the old ferrules, and see what happens.
    Yeah. Cables do stretch a bit. You can buy pre-stretched cables, but the bulk stuff is going to stretch.