mtbr member

New Build (Questions?????????)

Hello all -

I'm in need of some greatly appreciated advice on what drivetrain components to get. I'm building my first bike from the ground up. I have already bought a Nashbar 853 Signature Series frame:

http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?c...Frames%2FBikes

Marzocchi MX PRO, 2007 Fork:

http://www.greenfishsports.com/index...OD&ProdID=2074

I'm putting on Shimano Deore LX dual control lever sets and Shimano Deore XT (V-Brakes) off of another bike of mine.

I currently ride a 2003 Specialized Hardrock Pro that has Shimano Alivio and Deore components. I realize that these are on the lower end of Shimano's line..............and would like to upgrade considerably on my new ride..........both for responsiveness and weight (my Hardrock is 31lbs!)

Should I go with Shimano Crankset/Derailers/Cassette/etc.? or is SRAM better for the money?

If I go shimano............should I get XT or LX?

I weigh just over 200lb............and I'm 6'-0" I tend to ride pretty hard.............so I want something reliable. But I also live in the Lake Tahoe area.........and do a lot of climbing........so I want lite-weight.........components geared more towards uphill than down. Terrain is mostly sandy........rocky areas.........with a few somewhat hardpacked trails here and there.

The build requirements for my Frame are:

BUILD REQUIREMENTS:
    Headset: 1-1/8, standard press-in type
    Fork: 80-100 mm, 1-1/8 steerer
    Seatpost Diameter: 27.2mm
    Seat Collar Diameter: 31.8mm (1-1/4)
    Front Derailleur: 31.8mm clamp, top-pull
    Rear hub spacing: 135mm
    Bottom Bracket: 68mm, English-threaded
    Disc-Brake Caliper Mount: 51mm, International Standard

Thanks so much -

Mark

banned
    Sep 2005
    SRAM vs. Shimano is all personal preference. If at all possible, try out some SRAM stuff and then decide what you like.

I'd say that the best cranksets, front derailleurs and cassettes on the market are Shimano. The best chains are Wippermann. The best shifters and rear derailleurs are SRAM. All IMHO, of course.

mtbr member
    I've also heard that Shimano Deore, LX, and XT are all the same.............just different coatings...........and that XTR is the only different. Any truth to that?

banned
    Sep 2005
    Not necessarily. I've found the greatest performance leap is from LX to XT and XTR is just a slight gain above XT.

LX and Hone are the same with a different finish. The new '08 XT looks like it will be just a hair less performing than the 07 XTR.

mtbr member
    robdamanii -

when you say the new XT "looks" like it will be a tad under the old "XTR" what do you mean? is it lighter? better material? stronger? i'm not very familiar with shimano components.

thanks

p.s. i'm thinking of running XT components all around. what are your thoughts?

banned
    Sep 2005
    Since it's not been released yet, all anyone can really say is it seems to function exactly like the new XTR. I don't know what the differences are, really, since few people have had a shot at testing it.

XT is a solid choice for a drivetrain. I'll never again use it in favor of SRAM, but before I went to X.0, I used XT.

Cheezy Rider
    I'm pretty sure you can't use a SRAM X-series rear derailler with those LX levers, so might as well just stick with Shimano for the drivetrain.

I'm with robd on the Wipperman chain, I like how their Connex master link works.