mtbr member
    Mar 2006

NEW Box Components shifter & rear derailleur + question on chain length

Has anyone had any time on the new Box One PushPush Shifter and/or Box One 11-speed rear derailleur?

Box sent me a pre-production rear d and shifter and, so far, it is performing pretty well. The clutch uses a one-way friction (and) pressure plate purportedly different from Shimano and SRAM. There's really no difference between the derailleur's design and that of Shimano and SRAM.

My question: when properly set up and adjusted (hi and lo limit screws and B tension set, everything is shifting great), the chain has a lot of slack when the bike is static. On the trail there is noticeably more chain slap, but very seldom does it drop a chain. I decided that perhaps the chain needed trimming so I took 2 links out, shifted to the largest cog (it's a 1x), deflated the shock, but determined at full compression, the smaller chain length was putting too much tension on the system.

Again, the clutch is "different" and may not be as good as Shimano or SRAMs, but the only way to get better chain tension at this point seems to be by trimming the chain by a couple links. I guess I could back out the B screw 5mm but that's not what the B screw setting is for.

So the question really is: how important is it that the chain be long enough that it doesn't stress the rear mech and hanger when in the largest cog at full (bottom-out) travel? Are you ever really bottoming out your travel when in the largest cog? Am I missing something?

Thanks, in advance.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ugly View Post
    So the question really is: how important is it that the chain be long enough that it doesn't stress the rear mech and hanger when in the largest cog at full (bottom-out) travel?
    ^very important.

Easiest sizing method is to bypass the derailleur and add 2-4 links when in the big cassette cog.
    Chain Length Sizing | Park Tool

Son't mess with the b-screw to adjust chain tension.
    I brake for stinkbugs

mtbr member
    I'd like to hear more about Box Components!