mtbr member
    Mar 2006

New bottom bracket instalation how easy is it?

All right guys I have gained some great advice here with every question I have asked so here goes another one from a bike building rookie. I have a Truvativ Giga Pipe bottom bracket I am installing on a new 2005 Giant Rainier frame (that I had faced). I have the drive side bracket assembled and the non drive side bracket assembled, with all the right spacers for my setup according to truvativs instructions. My question is; in the diagram it shows the cups being installed and then the spindle is put through with the drive side crank. My bottom bracket allready has the spindle in it (it came this way) and I believe all I have to do is apply grease to all places the directions tell me, tighten down both cups to the indicated amount of torque and then slide the right crank and left crank on the protruding spindle and tighten them as indicated.

What am I missing or is it really this easy?

Thanks from a new guy trying to build his first bike.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Sounds like you have the wrong instructions for your BB. You have a GigaPipe BB and you're looking at the GigaXPipe instructions. Go download the right instructions. A couple of tips, I like to use anti-sieze instead of grease and partially install (a 1/4 of the way) the loose cup before installing the cartridge BB, it will help center the cartridge BB as you line up the threads to install it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Thanks! That could have been costly.