mtbr member
    Mar 2010

New bike issues.

So im new here, and i purchased a brand new diamondback hardtail mountain bike about 5 or so months ago.

not too long ago when i pedaled hard it felt like the chain was skipping(it wasnt shifting gears) just felt like something was letting loose.

now today its getting worse and doesnt happen just when im really getting on it. i cant really isolate where its coming from(front or rear)

is there anything that i can do to figure this out?

Take it to a shop?

It should be fairly easy to determine whether it's the front or rear that's the problem. Is the chain moving from one cog or chainring to another when you pedal? Is it skipping over the tops of the cogs or chainrings? Does it happen in any particular gear combinations? Did you crash or have a chain problem or a stick in the derailleur before this started happening? You might try adjusting your derailleurs with the instructions at parktool.com's repair section. Check the condition of your cables/housing, they may be binding a bit then moving when you get going. You have to do some sleuthing or....take it to a shop.
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

mtbr member
    Jul 2003

What Bikinfool said...

and, have you ever had the bike tuned? Did the shop offer a free tune up after 30 days or so? Most shops do, and this is exactly the reason for it. Cables stretch a bit after riding for a while. This can cause the very problems that you are describing. At the shop I work at we offer a free 30 day tune up. We usually end up adjusting derailleurs, brakes, headset, and bottom brackets (if adjustable), as all these items break in a bit and can need adjustment.

You can do it yourself as suggeted or take it to the shop and have them do it. However after 5 months I wouldn't expect it to be free. Just depends on your shops service policy.

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Im good when it comes to cars, but not bikes.

If i had to make a guess, it would be either the chain is skipping a cog in the back...but i lean more towards something internal for some reason...not really sure why. is that even possible?

it does not feel like anything is going wrong up front.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikinfoolferlife
    Take it to a shop?

It should be fairly easy to determine whether it's the front or rear that's the problem. Is the chain moving from one cog or chainring to another when you pedal? Is it skipping over the tops of the cogs or chainrings? Does it happen in any particular gear combinations? Did you crash or have a chain problem or a stick in the derailleur before this started happening? You might try adjusting your derailleurs with the instructions at parktool.com's repair section. Check the condition of your cables/housing, they may be binding a bit then moving when you get going. You have to do some sleuthing or....take it to a shop.

It is def not changing gears when it happens. it used to be just the higher gears when i was pedaling hard but not its moving down to the mid gears and moderate pedal pressure. no crash, no sticks, there was some mud in there which i guess could have made it worse, but it was still happeneing when clean.

it shifts fine in all gears, although when i pedal backwards it will start changing gears, (not sure if this matters???)

Sounds like you could be describing a bad freehub. Does it feel like it's not catching for a second then catches again? Probably something you should take back under warranty if so, but you should take it back to the shop you bought it from and have them check it out.
    suum quique

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Sounds like you could be describing a bad freehub. Does it feel like it's not catching for a second then catches again? Probably something you should take back under warranty if so, but you should take it back to the shop you bought it from and have them check it out.

If it is the freehub is that an easy fix?

Well i bought it from taylorsbikeshop online. so that might be a little tough. i live in a college town with 4 bike shops all really close by. i think i might just take it and have it checked out.

it does feel like it i skipping and catching and when it happens it makes a pretty loud ratcheting noise.

thanks for all your help!

mtbr member
    The bike is only five months old? Odds are it just needs some minor adjustment. That's to be expected. The need for occasional adjustment is normal.

Here is something easy you can try: there probably is a barrel adjuster at the point where your shifter cable exits your right-hand (rear) shifter. If you "unscrew" the adjuster, it will click, probably every 1/4 turn. Try unscrewing, say, two to four clicks. That will increase tension in your rear derailer cable. Try riding the bike again. See if the problem goes away.

The above might not work, but there's no harm in trying it. You can easily undo the adjustment.

On some bikes, the barrel adjuster is on the rear, where the cable enters the derailer.

Good luck. If the above doesn't help, then I'd go back to your dealer.

Quote Originally Posted by cummins_powered
    If it is the freehub is that an easy fix?

Well i bought it from taylorsbikeshop online. so that might be a little tough. i live in a college town with 4 bike shops all really close by. i think i might just take it and have it checked out.

it does feel like it i skipping and catching and when it happens it makes a pretty loud ratcheting noise.

thanks for all your help!
    Does sound like a freehub issue. Depends on the hub you have. If it's a Shimano hub the freehub part can be replaced for $35 or so if you do the labor, you might even be able to flush the freehub out and free up a sticky pawl if that's the issue. You can get an idea what's involved by starting with this http://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=118. OTOH a shop could confirm that's the problem before you go this route...
    suum quique

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by JonathanGennick
    The bike is only five months old? Odds are it just needs some minor adjustment. That's to be expected. The need for occasional adjustment is normal.

Here is something easy you can try: there probably is a barrel adjuster at the point where your shifter cable exits your right-hand (rear) shifter. If you "unscrew" the adjuster, it will click, probably every 1/4 turn. Try unscrewing, say, two to four clicks. That will increase tension in your rear derailer cable. Try riding the bike again. See if the problem goes away.

The above might not work, but there's no harm in trying it. You can easily undo the adjustment.

On some bikes, the barrel adjuster is on the rear, where the cable enters the derailer.

Good luck. If the above doesn't help, then I'd go back to your dealer.

funny you mention this, i completely forgot about this but that barrel adjuster actually broke(i broke it by laying my bike up against a rail...) and i had it fixed, but it no longer is functional.

this originally started before it broke(i think.....i hope....im pretty sure)

funny you mention this, i completely forgot about this but that barrel adjuster actually broke(i broke it by laying my bike up against a rail...) and i had it fixed, but it no longer is functional.

this originally started before it broke(i think.....i hope....im pretty sure)
    Well, if it's no longer functional it's not fixed. They can be replaced, though. Keeping your derailleur adjusted could be the issue like Squash was thinking...but you should still have a barrel adjuster at your shifter in any case to make some adjustments (or undo the anchor bolt and move the cable by hand as well...read the derailleur adjustment instructions at parktool.com too).
    suum quique

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Well, if it's no longer functional it's not fixed. They can be replaced, though. Keeping your derailleur adjusted could be the issue like Squash was thinking...but you should still have a barrel adjuster at your shifter in any case to make some adjustments (or undo the anchor bolt and move the cable by hand as well...read the derailleur adjustment instructions at parktool.com too).
    Yea, i guess its not fixed fixed. it was broken and loose.

I think ill just take it in to a shop tomorrow. ill let you guys know whats up when i know.

I really appreciate the help though, you guys are awesome!!

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Ok well i went out riding around to recreate the problem as many times as possible to figure out for sure what it could be.

I think its the bottom bracket. is this possible? could it somehow be worn/broken so it skips when i pedal hard. does this sound like a reasonable explanation for the described symptoms

I Have Cookies
    Ok well i went out riding around to recreate the problem as many times as possible to figure out for sure what it could be.

I think its the bottom bracket. is this possible? could it somehow be worn/broken so it skips when i pedal hard. does this sound like a reasonable explanation for the described symptoms
    The Bottom bracket will not do what your describing. take it to a LBS and get a new shifter when its adjusted (cable tensioned properly) it will not skip like you were saying if the shifter is broken the effect usually will be no shift at all, but it seems to just be the adjuster barrel. With that broken that will prevent proper tension on the cable therefore when you put pressure on the derailleur it will hunt around (shift)
    The most important thing is what God thinks about it. He will have the final say. Joshua Stinebrink

____
    Kimo

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by ae111black
    The Bottom bracket will not do what your describing. take it to a LBS and get a new shifter when its adjusted (cable tensioned properly) it will not skip like you were saying if the shifter is broken the effect usually will be no shift at all, but it seems to just be the adjuster barrel. With that broken that will prevent proper tension on the cable therefore when you put pressure on the derailleur it will hunt around (shift)

Ok cool, thanks for the info. makes sense, i will be takin care of it asap then.

mtbr member

I think its the bottom bracket. is this possible?
    I think you're over-analyzing. Go to your LBS. The most likely explanation is that you need a cable adjustment, or to replace that damaged shifter.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    So i have to admit that i didnt follow through with the LBS suggestion...but i found the answer and figured i would post in case someone searches and comes across this thread.

i oiled the chain and it completely stopped! lol, im rather ashamed that i let my chain get THAT bad that it must have been really stiff and skipping a tooth or something...i dont know, all i know is it is totally fine now.