rr
    I don't do PC

New 3x Gripshift compatable with 2x setups?

I have a 2008 XT crank setup 2x with new 24/38 e13 rings, a new 3x Gripshift and an XO double front der. Also running an MRP 2x chainguide. The reason for the 3x Gripshift was, in theory, due to the spacing on the older XT crankset.

Here's the deal- I can't get the shifting dialed in, it wants to shift off to the outside. If I dial in the high limit screw anymore the shifter does not click into gear and the chain drops back onto the granny. The der is setup and adj right I'm certain. I'm thinking there's something going on with the spacing between the 3x shifter and crankset?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rroeder View Post
    I have a 2008 XT crank setup 2x with new 24/38 e13 rings, a new 3x Gripshift and an XO double front der. Also running an MRP 2x chainguide. The reason for the 3x Gripshift was, in theory, due to the spacing on the older XT crankset.

Here's the deal- I can't get the shifting dialed in, it wants to shift off to the outside. If I dial in the high limit screw anymore the shifter does not click into gear and the chain drops back onto the granny. The der is setup and adj right I'm certain. I'm thinking there's something going on with the spacing between the 3x shifter and crankset?
    Was your XT crankset originally a triple and now you've got a middle and granny ring only? If so, I see where you were going... but don't think it will work.

Regardless of the crank you are going to have problems like this when trying to use a 3x shifter with a 2x front derailleur. The cable pull is not the same so you need to match the shifter and FD.

If your crank was originally a triple and you have a bash ring or something on the stock spindle with a granny and middle ring, I would use a 3x shifter and FD. If your crank is a double then use a 2x shifter and FD.

rr
    I don't do PC
    Thx Colin, what your sayin makes sense. It is an old triple setup w/middle and granny rings, no bash as I have the MRP chainguide w/skidguard.

I didn't intentionally mix and match this SMORGASBORD of parts. Originally I had an XO double crank and XO 2x shifter paired with the der and shifting was perfect, but I switched those over to another bike and was trying to save a few bucks by using my old XT crank.

I don't think a triple front der would work cause I would have to lower it too much to fit the 38 ring, might hit the chainstay? After talking with my shop I have a previous version shifter coming that has the micro adjust instead of just the 3 clicks of the new version. Soooo, well see