mtbr member
    Jul 2012

New 2015 Shimano XTR 1x11

For real this time?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mik8yu View Post
    For real this time?
    It's hard to say. The website in OP's post definitely looks bogus. But saying that, Shimano has been doing 11-speed stuff on their road bikes for at least a couple years now, so it's only a matter of time before that technology moves over to mountain bikes.

mtbr member
    Dude. It's pictures of a Shimano catalog. Did you see the Di2 stuff???

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    mtb-news.de is not a bogus site It is one of the biggest german mtb forums.

Anyhow. The info is most likely legit. I had it cross-confirmed with other sources

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Picture speak for themselves.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New 2015 Shimano XTR 1x11-1.jpg  

New 2015 Shimano XTR 1x11-2.jpg  

Attached Images Attached Images  

I ride bikes
    Those cranks are sexy! 11-40T should be a large enough range for most riders.
    '14 Marin Attack Trail C-XT9
    '08 Monocog 29 SS-Stolen
    '13 Marin MV XM7-Stolen

mtbr member
    The link threw me to a bike related spam site for some reason! Apologies, guys.

That reminds me, my computer has been running slow and acting funky lately, maybe it's time to clean it out...

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    The thread in my link has obviously been deleted...

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    Finally!

Looks like no special drive shell is needed. 11-40 is a good call by shimano - at least it is for my east coast needs.

I think the cranks look cheesy but I won't be buying them anyway. Just want the shifter, cassette and derailleur.

bike tester
    11-40 1x11 is not enough for me. i will stick with 2x10 until the x9.1 becomes available.

mtbr member
    It'll still force you to buy new wheels...or at least a rear if your hub is not compatible with the 11sp freehub.

I was on the verge of going XX1/01 until I found out that my new rear wheel is not XD compatible. I doubt that the Shimano 11sp will be compatible either.

NedwannaB
    Quote Originally Posted by RS VR6 View Post
    It'll still force you to buy new wheels...or at least a rear if your hub is not compatible with the 11sp freehub.

I was on the verge of going XX1/01 until I found out that my new rear wheel is not XD compatible. I doubt that the Shimano 11sp will be compatible either.
    This is the one deterring factor in making the switch. Can't ad the wheel part into the budget equation. :/
    Wait whuuut, who did he tell you that!?!?....

Come on, dare me!

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    I like the Di2 but the range of the cassette is to limited 11/40 compared to srams 10/42

mtbr member
    Aug 2009

Nice to see 2/3 X still being offered if desired. 24/40 is way low

Pedaling

The Fastest of Bananas
    Those chainrings dont look replaceable.

I also dont like the knuckle design on the rear d. I like the upper cog to sit foward of the linkage, in order to give plenty of clearance on FSR/Horst link suspensions.

Overall, its very "meh". Ill keep running my 9 speed stuff, and if I buy a new bike, and it has XX1 or XTR 11, then cool, I'll keep it.

On another point of discussion, does anyone else have chainsuck issues on 10 speed stuff? It seems my 10 speed stuff has to be super clean to not chainsuck.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LetoEscobar View Post
    I like the Di2 but the range of the cassette is to limited 11/40 compared to srams 10/42
    It is actually not a very big difference: compare the following gear ratios with 28 vs 30 chainring:

1140 x 30 => 2.73 to .75 (XTR 2015?)
    1142 x 30 => 2.73 to .71 (aftermarket)
    1042 x 28 => 2.80 to .67 (SRAM $1000-1500)

With a 1140 you loose at most three quarters of gear in respect to 1042. with 1142 you are almost identical. (Reason is that 11 to 10 is a very small gap, 1042 is actually a bit of silly idea).

I would have preferred that Shimano came out with 1142 10 speed, but because I am migrating from 9 speed 1140 eleven speed will do just great. For people that do not mind a dual ring a 1140 cassette with, say, 26 and 40 chain ring offers a massive range.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by FastBanana View Post
    Those chainrings dont look replaceable.
    It's hard to tell, but I bet they're using a spiderless direct-mount design. I think Shimano knows better than to make a crankset without replaceable chainrings.

The Fastest of Bananas
    Quote Originally Posted by GilbyVT View Post
    It's hard to tell, but I bet they're using a spiderless direct-mount design. I think Shimano knows better than to make a crankset without replaceable chainrings.
    And you would think every manufacturer would make servicable cassettes, but they dont.

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by slavdo View Post
    The thread in my link has obviously been deleted...
    A similar thread was deleted on the weight weenies site as well.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by FastBanana View Post
    And you would think every manufacturer would make servicable cassettes, but they dont.
    That's a different discussion, but I personally don't have a need for seviceable cassettes. By the time one cog reaches the end of its life, others will be close behind. I'd rather just replace the whole cassette, chain and maybe chainring(s) together. That being said, I don't use cassettes like the XTR with titanium cogs that tend to wear more quickly.

I looked more closely at the literature that was posted and it says the Hollowtech II crank arm is "compatible with all of the new XTR chainrings." So, it looks like they will be replaceable.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Davide View Post
    It is actually not a very big difference: compare the following gear ratios with 28 vs 30 chainring:

1140 x 30 => 2.73 to .75 (XTR 2015?)
    1142 x 30 => 2.73 to .71 (aftermarket)
    1042 x 28 => 2.80 to .67 (SRAM $1000-1500)

With a 1140 you loose at most three quarters of gear in respect to 1042. with 1142 you are almost identical. (Reason is that 11 to 10 is a very small gap, 1042 is actually a bit of silly idea).

I would have preferred that Shimano came out with 1142 10 speed, but because I am migrating from 9 speed 1140 eleven speed will do just great. For people that do not mind a dual ring a 1140 cassette with, say, 26 and 40 chain ring offers a massive range.
    You are so consistently wrong on your XX1 pricing Davide - Nobody pays MSRP - Srams XX1 can frequently be picked up for $900 ish. Knock off the $hit about $1500.

And yes, $900 is still expensive, but at least stay accurate. I know ya got it in ya.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 006_007 View Post
    You are so consistently wrong on your XX1 pricing Davide - Nobody pays MSRP - Srams XX1 can frequently be picked up for $900 ish. Knock off the $hit about $1500.

And yes, $900 is still expensive, but at least stay accurate. I know ya got it in ya.
    Maybe you can tray to say something interesting for a change? I put a range of $1000-1500, it all depends where/when you buy and if you need to buy an extra wheel. The low end of my range is actually $100 away from your claim so what's your point ...

The post was about the new Shimano more than anything else, if the rumor is true I am a bit disappointed about the 11 speed which I think is useless, but happy about the 1140 that is a very nice set up and plenty range-wise, with a dual ring and Di2 it will be huge for the people that need it.

But I also think that it is good to reiterate that $1000-$1500 spent on SRAM in 2014 gets you a system that has no advantage in respect to 1142, and has just a tiny bit more range in respect to 1140. Things have changed since last year when you only had 1136 as an alternative to 1042, and SRAM really looks like a silly waste of money.

mtbr member
    is this really it? after all the rumours of something groundbreaking coming from shimano, something that would wipe out xx1, they are bringing out a 10-40 cassette.

I'm a shimano person through and through, can't stand sram gear, but is this the best they could do? What a shame. They should have gone 10-43 to be competitive.

mtbr member
    Why? If you havent noticed the cassette will run on a more standard cassete. The hubs say 10/11 speed compatible so im guessing its the newer 11speed freehub that is now very common for road bikes. And it looks like american classic has had a disc 11 speed hub out for a while

aka bOb
    Maybe you can tray to say something interesting for a change? I put a range of $1000-1500, it all depends where/when you buy and if you need to buy an extra wheel. The low end of my range is actually $100 away from your claim so what's your point ...

The post was about the new Shimano more than anything else, if the rumor is true I am a bit disappointed about the 11 speed which I think is useless, but happy about the 1140 that is a very nice set up and plenty range-wise, with a dual ring and Di2 it will be huge for the people that need it.

But I also think that it is good to reiterate that $1000-$1500 spent on SRAM in 2014 gets you a system that has no advantage in respect to 1142, and has just a tiny bit more range in respect to 1140. Things have changed since last year when you only had 1136 as an alternative to 1042, and SRAM really looks like a silly waste of money.
    So you are happy with the 11-40 but unhappy with the 10-42 but love the 11-42 hack even though you have seen no prices yet on the Shimano system and have no real time experience with the Sram or hack? Just making sure I got this right.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bdundee View Post
    So you are happy with the 11-40 but unhappy with the 10-42 but love the 11-42 hack even though you have seen no prices yet on the Shimano system and have no real time experience with the Sram or hack? Just making sure I got this right.
    Ok, obviously you are a little bit slow on the intake, so let me take you again step by step:

1042 is nonsense. Yes, if you take the cog max/min ratios it is 420%, and that seems huge in respect to the 1142 378%. In reality that ratio means nothing, because you do not have continuously varying chain rings, but can only use 26, 28, 30, 32 etc. As a result 1142 x 30 gives you an almost identical range to 1042 x 28. The difference? 42 aftermarket is $90 while SRAM 1042 is ten times that amount at a minimum. Nonsense.

I would prefer, on paper, if Shimano, or somebody else, come out with a nicely spaced 10 speed 1142, but for me is still just an extra: I have been using 1136 9 speed for the last two years

BTW: 942 (Leonardi) is the only way to get a full extra gear in respect to an 11 minimum cog cassette.

aka bOb
    Ok, obviously you are a little bit slow on the intake, so let me take you again step by step:

1042 is nonsense. Yes, if you take the cog max/min ratios it is 420%, and that seems huge in respect to the 1142 378%. In reality that ratio means nothing, because you do not have continuously varying chain rings, but can only use 26, 28, 30, 32 etc. As a result 1142 x 30 gives you an almost identical range to 1042 x 28. The difference? 42 aftermarket is $90 while SRAM 1042 is ten times that amount at a minimum. Nonsense.

I would prefer, on paper, if Shimano come out with 10 speed 1142, but again 40 looses very little and I can live with it: I have been using 1136 9 speed for the last two years

BTW: if I really wanted a single mega range (but why?) I would get the the Leonardi 942: that is the only way to get a full extra gear in respect to a 11 minimum cog cassette.
    Personally I could give a rats a$$ what your paper says, answer my question have you actually had any real experience? Do you actually know how each system performs, there is more to it than gear ratios.

mtbr member
    Personally I could give a rats a$$ what your paper says, answer my question have you actually had any real experience? Do you actually know how each system performs, there is more to it than gear ratios.
    Love this: "what your paper says". As if math was an opinion!

There is nothing to know, it is just a drive train: we know that as we speak a 42 aftermarket has the limitation of having to take out a cog in the middle of the range. When I put together my 9 speed 1136 using a FRM aftermarket 36, I cannibalized two XT cassettes just to avoid a jump in the gears. And we know as well that any Shimano or SRAM cassette will be fine no matter what its range.

Do you use 1042? Be happy, you own the fractionally highest range cassette on the market. It cost you a harm and a leg to have a fraction of an extra gear, but hei ... free country!

Rider of Berms

I would prefer, on paper, if Shimano, or somebody else, come out with a nicely spaced 10 speed 1142, but for me is still just an extra: I have been using 1136 9 speed for the last two years

I've been asking the folks I know at Shimano for this very thing. 10 speed cassette. I'd even be happy with 11-40.

We'll see how it goes with the OneUp cog.

aka bOb
    Love this: "what your paper says". As if simple math was an opinion!

There is nothing to know, it is just a drive train: we know that as we speak a 42 aftermarket has the limitation of having to take out a cog in the middle of the range, we know that any Shimano or SRAM cassette will be fine.
    You must be a little slow on the intake, I am speaking of performance issues not gear ratios. The problem with the 42 hack has nothing to do with the 17t being removed, heck I've been running with the 17t out for about a year on my fat bike and shifting has been great. It's a problem with the shifting due to lack of chain wrap from the derailleur not being made for such a gear range. Try it then come back and preach, maybe you will have good luck and maybe you wont but at least you might gain some credibility.

I've learned you can build cassettes in great ranges that yes on paper look as good as the xx1 system but without the proper made derailleur to go with it the system is lacking.

aka bOb

Do you use 1042? Be happy, you own the fractionally highest range cassette on the market. It cost you a harm and a leg to have a fraction of an extra gear, but hei ... free country!
    I have both the XTR 10 speed and the X01, two different systems for two different bikes and both are excellent in their applications. I tried like hell to like the 42 hack but maybe I am just to picky.

Peace.

mtbr member
    It's a problem with the shifting due to lack of chain wrap from the derailleur not being made for such a gear range. Try it then come back and preach, maybe you will have good luck and maybe you wont but at least you might gain some credibility.
    You are funny: "gain credibility"!

We all know (we read the same forum, don't we?) that according to some the 42 might give some problems, and some of those reports point to a lack of chain wrap as the culprit. Some don't, and seem very happy. It does not really matter, even if that was a real problem wait six months and Shimano (and additional SRAM) derailleurs will come out fidgeted to have more uptake.

Same for the cassette, the uneven spacing of the cassette when you use an aftermarket might not be a problem, but it is not the way you would design a cassette from ground zero. And once again a nicely spaced (or gap spaced for that matter) 1142 is indistinguishable from a 1042 at a tiny fraction of the cost.

aka bOb
    And once again a nicely spaced (or gap spaced for that matter) 1142 is indistinguishable from a 1042 at a tiny fraction of the cost.
    And this I agree on as long as shifting performance is equal as well as durability.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I for one would sure prefer a product with no compromise in terms of shifting performance with a small gear range disadvantage than a simple bodge job. The WTC and OneUP cogs are no doubt great if you can live with the potential setup and performance issues, I'd personally be happy to give up a little range for near flawless shift performance and not over-stress my kit by asking it to do something it isn't designed to do.

A factory 10 speed 11-40 or 42t cassette is no doubt possible, but with current rear mechs not designed to cope with such systems, why not do what Shimano have done and go 11 speed? I agree that they could have taken the concept further, but my thinking is this XTR grouppo has been designed around various chainring combos and a cassette that works with all of them, hence the slight reduction in gear range. I honestly would not be surprised if Shimano pulled a dedicated "enduro" group out of the bag at Sea Otter, much like Saint and Zee for DH. Dedicated 1x and a wider range cassette, possibly priced between XT and XTR much like Saint it. Pure speculation of course, and if I'm wrong I'll happily put 2015 1x11 XTR on my next bike!

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    I like Shimano stuff, its my preference on all my bikes but SRAM have them beaten hands down here and I'm glad I have XX1 on my Bronson now and did not wait for new XTR.

FIRENZE rulez !!
    what about wi-fi technology on Di2 ?

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Draper View Post
    I like Shimano stuff, its my preference on all my bikes but SRAM have them beaten hands down here and I'm glad I have XX1 on my Bronson now and did not wait for new XTR.
    I really wanted to like XX1 but SRAM feels like something is breaking every time you shift it. It feels FAR less smooth than Shimano. I guess that's more of a priority to me than having an extra gear. Different strokes.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by eliflap View Post
    what about wi-fi technology on Di2 ?
    Its not.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Alias530 View Post
    I really wanted to like XX1 but SRAM feels like something is breaking every time you shift it. It feels FAR less smooth than Shimano. I guess that's more of a priority to me than having an extra gear. Different strokes.
    Has it ever broken though? Mine is smooth as silk and works faultlessly.

Shimano shadow rear mechs leave a lot to be desired and are far from durable.

banned
    Jun 2007
    Call me a curmudgeon. Although, I firmly believe in 1 x technology the more I read of the latest / greatest
    the strong voice of Sheldon Brown rings true.

6-speed, 7-speed, 8-speed, 9-speed, 10-speed, 11-speed?

While the entire article is relevant, the first 2 paragraphs say it well.
    -----
    "Component manufacturers like to sell you lots of new parts, even if you don't need them. This has led to much confusion as various parts are labeled as if they are incompatible with other parts even though they are actually usable with little or no problem. Also, design often is churned by spec hype, and "keeping up with the Joneses," as in more sprockets, lighter weight, higher-priced components must be better. "Jones" is also a slang term for a drug addiction!

In reality, the fancier parts aren't always the most suitable, in the same way that a Ferrari, while it is a great racecar, isn't at all as good for daily transportation as a Toyota -- there are practical issues of cost, reliability, serviceability and durability. With bicycle components, the performance gain with higher-end models is often minusucule. Remember, you account for 80 percent of the weight even if you are riding a rather heavy bicycle!"

ride all day
    Sep 2011
    If what we can see from the pictures is right I think shimano has done it pretty well. If it can fit on a standard hub that is $100 less than XX1 instantly, and xtr has always been cheaper than XX and in line with or a little cheaper than XO. I think the 11-40 is plenty big enough. With an 11-36 if an ride everything but it would be nice to have a lower gear, 4 more teeth is quite a bit lower gear and I don't spin out with a 32-11 so a 32 with a 40 out back should be pretty equal to a 34-42 where I wouldn't use the 10t on the xx1, I see no need for the 10 that just makes a new standard for a new driver. I think when shimano releases it they may have an 11-42 cassette for just 1x use as the pic sayed 2x11 and 3x11. I like the feel of shimano better so I will probably hold out for this. I was just about ready to pull the trigger on XX1, but this makes me want to wait. The Di2 has a lot of potential for the mtb world as well. We'll see how this turns out but I would probably order as soon as it comes out.

mtbr member

Seriously davide, you don't seem to understand the market at the upper end at all. You compare the pricing of xx1 with xtr and what those products deliver . The people buying this stuff are generally buying it for a new bike and are not comparing it to an slx pimped up groupo with aftermarket bits.

When you are building up a $7000 bike, an extra $400 or $500 is nothing - in the same way you don't buy a $20 KNC stem for the bike or a $40 alloy bar. No one who shops for absolute value will be buying it, same as the value shopper doesnt buy a Maserati .

For me XX1 was a big enough step to take me away from shimano, but my next build was an SLX one ( different bikes, different needs ). There is no doubt at all that xx1 is a really nice groupset ( with shimano brakes of course )

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I am surprised at all this squabbling about the size of the cassette. The big news here is obviously the electronics. The cassette is slightly higher range, big whoop. SRAM's cassette still has fairly more range, but the absolute range of a cassette is probably a lot less noticeable than shifting performance.

But the main reason that the size of the cassette doesn't matter is because of the Di2 front derailleur. Anyone who has used a Di2 system knows that the front derailleur/front shifting is the best of any system ever available. It is very quick, shifts in any conditions (the use of Di2 in CX has already shown this, and CX race bikes tend to get dirtier/muddier than most people's MTBs), and doesn't rub. Sure, it will still be a little bit louder than XX1 as the chain will still bang on the derailleur, but the polymer insert on the FD cage quiets this and so does the Shadow Plus. If you really want quiet, you still have to go singlespeed.

1x is nice, and I like it (but I'm a singlespeeder), but the fact is that most people still like the big gear range and will be sticking with 2x or maybe even 3x. I don't know if the Di2 FD will support 3x, however. SRAM couldn't make a very good front derailleur, so they abandoned it and made the cassette bigger. Shimano *can*, and does make a very good front derailleur and crankset. People who will use XTR Di2 will forget about the hassle that front derailleurs usually are (because Di2 simply works) and come to appreciate the tighter spacing in back and the extremely quick and significant downshift you can get when you shift into the granny ring on a double. With Shimano, you can drop you gear by 150% with just the push of a button, but with SRAM, you have to mash the downshift lever and wait for the chain to come around to the top of the cassette before the ratio actually changes. A downshift on the front instantly starts to change ratio, even before the chain has reached the small chainring.

And that omits the most important part of electronics: lack of maintenance. Charging the battery is easy and only needs to be done infrequently, and the indexing is so much more consistent over time. There are so many people with misadjusted mechanical drivetrains who are dealing with poor shifting because it is actually a fairly skilled task to tune a derailleur (especially the front), and they just aren't up to it. Di2 is set and forget unless it gets bashed, and it is still easier to adjust than a mechanical system.

Nearly every mechanic I talk to loves Di2 because it makes our job a lot easier. I'm very excited about this groupset.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kanik View Post
    I am surprised at all this squabbling about the size of the cassette. The big news here is obviously the electronics. The cassette is slightly higher range, big whoop. SRAM's cassette still has fairly more range, but the absolute range of a cassette is probably a lot less noticeable than shifting performance.

Nearly every mechanic I talk to loves Di2 because it makes our job a lot easier. I'm very excited about this groupset.
    Very good points. A duo with 1140 and Di2 gives a stunning range with what looks like seamless front ring transitions. I am probably not going back to double but just using an electronic rear would actually be great, effortless shifting and custom settings, with instant "whole cassette" shifting. Homemade "preview" version: What can we expect from Shimano 2015?

Long live the ASR-7
    SHIMANO XTR 2015 Di2

Didn't look to see if that link was posted. Same information and pictures.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Di2 is great on road bikes. Hanging a £350-£400 off the back of a mountain bike that risks getting smashed off every single minute of every ride does not sound that sensible IMHO.

FIRENZE rulez !!
    i have installed a Di2 trasmission on my 29er , using the 7970 group with customized shifters and internal battery.

very happy after lots of months , almost an year.
    36-24 and rear 11-36

this new XTR Di2 will be sure 3 steps beyond mine.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    In my opinion, the only custom setting that would be worth anything is enabling other speeds, such as 8, 9, 10 speed etc. The multi-shift thing is really dumb, the delay is too long and there is no feedback to let to know how many times you have shifted. Its not a machine gun, you don't need to be able to just hold it down. Much better to just keep it on semi-auto. You can easily shift it faster on semi than you can on full.

Obviously though, Shimano wouldn't enable other speed settings to be used even though the hardware is perfectly capable of indexing other speeds. Not that you really get an indexing reliability advantage with using less speeds like you do with mechanical, but the chains and cassettes are still cheaper.

The main reason for electronics is reliability. They are rock solid.

Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast