Thread: new 1x9 setup

Arrrr.

new 1x9 setup

2002 Cannondale F600
    N-Gear Jumpstop
    Salsa 32 tooth chainring
    Race Face Bash Guard
    Attached Images Attached Images
    You see, in this world there's two kinds of people, my friend: Those with loaded guns and those who dig. You dig.

mechmann_mtb
    i recently finished the same/similar setup on my 05 enduro. mine is probably a bit lighter due to component selection. i love this setup. hope you enjoy yours as much as i love mine. (btw, the short cage XT RD is tuned heavily and almost as light as XTR but WAY beefier)

mtbr member

what gearing?

curious as to what gearing you guys are running - 11-32 or 11-34? what about up front? 32 or 34?

thanks, I'm considering this for my ride

mechmann_mtb
    i have a 32T ring on the front (stock XT middle ring) and an XT 11/34 on the back. i wouldn't be able to grind long enough on the long steep uphills with an 11/32.
    it is so nice to not have my chain slapping the frame on drops and stuff anymore!

mtbr member
    just curious - removing the shifter, cable and housing, and fd, but adding the bash guard and the n-gear thing, how many grams do you think you dropped?

ant

mechmann_mtb
    removing...

big ring
    small ring
    steel bolts (small ring)
    FD
    shifter
    cable

lost almost one pound, somewhere around 420g or so.

the N-gear thing doesn't weigh much, maybe 20g max (i didn't weigh it)
    the spot ring guard weighs 85g or so.

so i lost about a three quarters of a pound.

if i were so inclined i could definitely lighten up the Spot ring guard with pockets, or holes, or both, but it isn't that important to me.

i offset some of the weight i added back on though...

CrossMax XL wheels (lost about a pound)
    Lighter Tires (Kenda Cortez 2.4) with Stans instead of tubes (lost at least 1/4 pound and these tires seem awesome so far)
    Sram PC99 hollow pin chain (bad Justin, i didn't weigh this one either, but it is lighter, and with short cage and 1x9 i removed about 5 links from the chain)
    XT cassette
    and tuned the short cage XT RD to within 20g or so of the original XTR one.

Arrrr.
    Quote Originally Posted by antonio
    just curious - removing the shifter, cable and housing, and fd, but adding the bash guard and the n-gear thing, how many grams do you think you dropped?

ant
    I probably didn't save any weight, I just did it for increased reliability and the fact that I never used the small ring. I can live without the big ring.

I also have 32 front/11-34 rear but could run something smaller.
    You see, in this world there's two kinds of people, my friend: Those with loaded guns and those who dig. You dig.

banned
    Here's a question. How would I go about do that.

Do I need different cranks? I have a triple RaceFace Evolve DH crank and 11X32 in back.

I wouldn't mind the decreased chainslap and less weight.

Arrrr.
    Quote Originally Posted by standard235
    Here's a question. How would I go about do that.

Do I need different cranks? I have a triple RaceFace Evolve DH crank and 11X32 in back.

I wouldn't mind the decreased chainslap and less weight.
    I bought the Salsa chainring for mine because it is a singlespeed type, no ramps or pins like regular chainrings. I have a LX crank, it was a 4 hole 104mm type, you just need to check what kind you have.

mechmann_mtb
    no you don't need a different crank. you don't even need the SS chainring.

the 1x9 is easily done. all you need is a chain stop and a bash ring or chain-ring guard. N-gear makes a great chain stop (light, simple, effective) and the lightest chain ring guard i could find (without making my own) is the Spot Brand one. the SS guys have great information on their thread.

IMO the trickest setup is to go with spiderless cranks and a Boone Ti chainring. i might go that route eventually. they are just so pretty!!!!!!

mtbr member
    thanks for the info guys. w/ a 34t cassette i don't think i ever use my granny, so i might go the 1x9 route for simplicity's sake - any weight savings would just be an added bonus. i wouldn't replace my raceface bashguard, it weighs around 140g but it can definitely take some abuse.

ant

banned
    If I get extra money or ditch the new derailleur, I will probably go for a gear like on the Truvativ DH cranks, with a 40t ratio.

That and a bash to fit it should set me back around 90 I should think.

Then that Jumpstop+shipping will be around $120.

Any suggestions on to where I could get all I need to get the 1X9 setup?

PS, I have 4 arm RaceFace Evolve DH cranks.
    Last edited by standard235; 10-07-2005 at 02:13 PM.

Arrrr.
    Quote Originally Posted by standard235
    If I get extra money or ditch the new derailleur, I will probably go for a gear like on the Truvativ DH cranks, with a 40t ratio.

That and a bash to fit it should set me back around 90 I should think.

Then that Jumpstop+shipping will be around $120.

Any suggestions on to where I could get all I need to get the 1X9 setup?

PS, I have 4 arm RaceFace Evolve DH cranks.
    Webcyclery is what I used. Shipped same day, UPS ground and I had it in 5 days.

mechmann_mtb
    i ordered most of my stuff from bikeman.com

speedgoat also has a *****en selection of stuff.

banned
    I found $96 dollars worth of stuff to convert to 1X9, and I didn't need the chainring I bought so bleh.

Salsa Bash (44t max)
    RaceFace DH 42t chainring 104mm BCD/4 arm
    n-gear jumpstop

$96 including shipping. Oh joy.

I might change my mind and get a 3Xt chainring, depending on how much XC I want to do.

mechmann_mtb
    i think i spent 10 bucks on the N-gear, 35 on the Spot Brand ring guard.

32T works fine for me with 11-34 cassette. gives enough top speed (can spin up to 26 on flat, when i am blasting singletrack at 30 or faster i don't pedal anyway) and for climbing 32:34 is low enough to climb anything i have run into, i tested that friday when we rode up San Juan Trail from the bottom. something like 2400' vertical gain on the way up, turn around and it's all down from there.

banned
    I do mostly DJ, and I hate spinning with a passion, being a BMX'er for 7 years. I would rather stand and mash. I have a SRAM PC990 cass 11X34 to be installed so yeah. All I need is the stop and a bash but I want a bigger front ring.

Have to go for a DH ring so I can get bigger than 38t.

Work at my gma's to add to xmas money... maybe get enough to get a lx or xt short cage rd.

I can't decide how I want to do this...

Can you drop the chain at any point with the jumpstop?

mechmann_mtb
    you set the jumpstop wherever you want. i set mine up so that it nearly contacts the chain. this means that the chain can never get off the chain-ring to the inside. i can however lift the chain off the chain-ring to remove it if i so desire (unlike on captured DH design chain guides, where they are captured by pulleys and such).

the DH style chain guides are WAY heavier. it all depends on what you do. if you never have to pedal up, who cares about how much the bike weighs?

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    ok, so i need a chain guide device. my freind (Standard235) is tring to convince me to get the jump stop thingy. i would rather have a E.13 SRS chain guide to go on my Kona Stinky, but i am rather short on cash. so my ? is, is it posible for the chain to pop off of the top of the chain ring since there is no top covering on top of the chain ring? like will it keep the chain on in even the ruffest of rock gardens, and jumps and stuff?

banned
    Ok, you can move it up and down on the seat stay so it shouldn't and your bash will keep it from going the other way. I think it has an adjustable plate too.

I am going the way the first poster did. Kinda....

RF Bash guard and jumpstop.