Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

New 10 speed compatibility

729 views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  Shayne 
#1 ·
Hi, will the new 2011 Shimano XTR chainset 42/32/24 work with 9 speed cassettes. Will their be significant changes in gear ratios?
Will a nine speed chain work?
Are Shimano XTR and Sram XO compatible?
Or do I have to buy the 10 speed cassette, shifters and deraillure.
Sorry about this but I cant seem to find if there are compatibility issues with old and new. Surely the chains will be thinner and thus the cassette teeth and chainrings will be as well.
Appreciate your advice.

#2 ·
New 10 speed Shimano is designed around an asymmetric chain with different shaped inner and outer links, so it's entirely likely that the 10 speed cranks will not work optimally with a 9 speed chain, and a 9 speed cassette may not work optimally with the new 10 speed chain. They sure don't intend them to be mixed with their existing 9 speed stuff. It's also very likely that the compatibility between SRAM and Shimano is more questionable with the 10 speed stuff than with the 9 speed.

Shimano and SRAM rear derailleurs and shifters are not at all compatible, but the fronts are.

That new XTR crankset has closer ratios than the current XTR with 22/32/44, so you're going to need bigger legs to climb hills with that 24T granny ring.

#3 ·
rockyuphill said:
New 10 speed Shimano is designed around an asymmetric chain with different shaped inner and outer links, so it's entirely likely that the 10 speed cranks will not work optimally with a 9 speed chain, and a 9 speed cassette may not work optimally with the new 10 speed chain. They sure don't intend them to be mixed with they're existing 9 speed stuff. It's also very likely that the compatibility between SRAM and Shimano is more questionable with the 10 speed stuff than with the 9 speed.

Shimano and SRAM rear derailleurs and shifters are not at all compatible, but the fronts are.

That new XTR crankset has closer ratios than the current XTR with 22/32/44, so you're going to need bigger legs to climb hills with that 24T granny ring.
Hi, thanks for reply. Basically any one who wants to upgrade XTR or XO components from old to new, a piece at a time is screwed! As 9 and 10 speed components are not interchangeable.

At around £1000 for the full XTR 10 speed group set (and I have not included brakes or wheels) has priced me out of the market. It will be the same for XO stuff as well.
By the time I save up I guess the new 11 speed 2016 set will be out. Pity as I fancied starting with the new XTR chainset first, then cassette and rear derailleur including shifters, hoping the old front derailleur would not need changing. Spreading the cost.

I wonder if Shimano and Sram has thought this through especially in todays recession hit times. Surely they will loose out on customers who can only afford a few bits and pieces at a time.
Anyway enough ranting.

Once again thanks for the reply.

#4 ·
skyerose123 said:
I wonder if Shimano and Sram has thought this through especially in todays recession hit times. Surely they will loose out on customers who can only afford a few bits and pieces at a time.
I think they have thought it though. From the manufactures on down 10 speed is a cash cow. It's called planned obsolecence and in this case it sucks.

I'm staying with 9 speed.

#5 ·
Pisgah said:
skyerose123 said:
I think they have thought it though. From the manufactures on down 10 speed is a cash cow. It's called planned obsolecence and in this case it sucks.

I'm staying with 9 speed.
I thought you were staying with 8 speed or 7 speed...

Yes planned obsolence hmmm would you rather something wear out or just catastrophically fail....

That is planned obsolencence.

#7 ·
The 10 speed mountain cranks will use the same spacing as the 10 speed road cranks between chainrings... 10 speed road chains work fine on 9speed cassettes and chainrings.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.