I <3 29ers

Need updating with tapered BB tools

Well, it appears that in my absense from biking Shimano changed something with their BB's. What else is new, right?

Shimano BB of unknown p/n - 'cuz it's still in the frame. It's tapered, not splined. 73 x 112.5 or 113. Actually, maybe it's not even a Shimano BB, come to think of it - I don't know.

I have a tool that fits the drive side perfectly (and I can't get it out because it's incredibly tight! Yes, i'm turning it the correct way), however the tool does NOT work on the non-drive side. It has the same spline count and appears to have the same diameter, but I can't get the tool on. The tapered end of the tool does not pose any interferece with the tool from what I can tell.

Did Shimano change something through the late '90's with this? Last I remembered I only needed the one tool for both sides.

Some help?

PATIA!
    I ..... need ..... DIRT!!!!!

... and cookies.

I <3 29ers
    Forgot to mention I have a Park BBT-1 tool. The drive side is steel and the non-drive side cup might be plastic.

... and cookies.

The plastic cups are what you mostly get with square taper bbs from Shimano now, and they can be a problem. I'd take out the drive side cup first in any case. You probably will have to pound your tool into the plastic cup either way...
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

I <3 29ers
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikinfoolferlife
    The plastic cups are what you mostly get with square taper bbs from Shimano now, and they can be a problem. I'd take out the drive side cup first in any case. You probably will have to pound your tool into the plastic cup either way...
    Oh crap! You mean like it squashed when it was installed? Damn, that suddenly makes perfect sense (if that's what you're talking about).

... and cookies.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I think one side of the BB is reverse thread.
    The tool should work both sides.

Is there gunk keeping the tool from engaging the notches?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewTO
    Oh crap! You mean like it squashed when it was installed? Damn, that suddenly makes perfect sense (if that's what you're talking about).
    I've never seen a squashed one, but it could happen I guess. The same tool should fit both sides, even if one side is plastic... worst case, remove the BB from the drive side (metal cup) and cut out the plastic side. If the bearings are still good, you should be able to get a new cup from a LBS, to keep the BB going.
    This is likely a shimano un-53/73... the 52/72/92 had metal cups both sides if I recall right (they don't make these anymore, but the un-53 or 73 is readily available).
    [SIZE=1][/SIZE]

I <3 29ers
    Quote Originally Posted by logbiter
    I've never seen a squashed one, but it could happen I guess. The same tool should fit both sides, even if one side is plastic... worst case, remove the BB from the drive side (metal cup) and cut out the plastic side. If the bearings are still good, you should be able to get a new cup from a LBS, to keep the BB going.
    This is likely a shimano un-53/73... the 52/72/92 had metal cups both sides if I recall right (they don't make these anymore, but the un-53 or 73 is readily available).

I'll wait untill I have my new stuff before I worry about it too much. If I have to destroy it to get it out I couldn't care less - you already know this in repling to my Turbine post.

The idea is to replace with Ti.

Thanks guys!!!!

... and cookies.

I <3 29ers
    Update;

I finally got a hold of my replacement BB (World Class Ti BB) and quickly discovered why I can't get the tool to fit the plastic non-drive cup.

I need a Park BBT-2 to do this. Not the BBT-1 that I have.

I took some measurements of the WC BB and realized that while the BBT-1 has the same number of teeth/lugs on it, the diameter of the inside of the BB bearing cup is smaller on the "newer" stuff.

Off to the LBS I go for a BBT-2. Then to Canadian Tire for a BFW.

... and cookies.