mtbr member
    Aug 2006

need Tech help! 9 speed conversion: SR Suntour XCT 22/32/42t

Wife's New DB Response has a SR Suntour XCT 22/32/42t crank...

I'm upgrading all my XTR parts on my bike and donating my older XTR stuff to my wife's bike... She'll get my XTR 9 speed stuff including both derailleurs, XT 9-speed cassette, chain, et al...

The ONLY thing I don't have for her right now is a new crank/rings/BB...

Is the SR Suntour XCT 22/32/42t compatible with a 9-speed chain and derailleur/shifter?

I used a caliper on the rings and ring spacing, and the measurements don't appear to be significantly different from my 9-speed crank/rings/ring spacing.

She'll be getting my RaceFace crank/rings/BB as soon as I spec out and purchase a new one for my bike, but I haven't gotten that far yet...

She's fired up about upgrading her bike now, so I'd like to get the XTR derailleurs, cassette, shifters, XTR brakes, brake levers, et al. on her bike at the same time I put her new wheelset and tires on...

It'll increase her riding pleasure significantly, while we wait on the crank swap...

mtbr member
    Jul 2003
    It'll work fine. You probably won't have the same shifting performance up front as you would with proper 9 speed spaced chainrings, but it will work. You're also likely to get chain rub on the front derailleur cage in more gear combinations that you would normally as well. And there is the possibility of minor issues with the 42T big ring, the XTR being optimized for a 44T big ring. But with a little careful set up and tweaking you should be able to get it to work. All you can do it give it a try and see.

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Thanks! I got antsy last night, so I went ahead and bought myself a new RaceFace Deus XC... I'll donate my older Race Face NEXT LP, rings, and BB to my wife, so she'll end up with my entire drivetrain.

(The newer RF Deus XC combo is actually a bit lighter than my older NEXT SL)

This way, we won't have to worry about any chain/shifting/ chain rub, et al...

Thanks again...

mtbr member
    I agree. As long as you have a 9 speed rear shifter you'll be good.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Bataivah View Post
    I agree. As long as you have a 9 speed rear shifter you'll be good.
    Yep, XTR 9-speed shifter sets... M952 for her, newer M970's for me...

mtbr member
    Lol! Going from suntour to xtr...she'll be loving you! I'm surprised a DB comes w/a suntour drivetrain.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Bataivah View Post
    Lol! Going from suntour to xtr...she'll be loving you! I'm surprised a DB comes w/a suntour drivetrain.
    She really has no idea of the improvements she will be seeing... and the weight loss.

It's a base model Response... We (I) bought it knowing that we would basically be stripping it bare and replacing everything at some point...

I think it's just the crank/rings/BB and fork that are Suntour... Shifters and brake systems are lower level Shimano et al. manufacturers.

As the recipient of my donor parts, she'll have full XTR brakes and drivetrain, save for the RaceFace crank/rings/BB. she'll have separate brake levers/shifters, an Easton CT2 carbon flat bar, a RaceFace stem, Thomson seat post, et al...

First thing she'll be getting is a new wheelset (UFO/Black Flag) setup with Stan's Raven tires and tubeless... That'll drop like 3 lbs off the bike.