mtbr member
    Feb 2010

Need Some Help Shimano Xt Shifter Problems

I am having problems setting up my rear derailleur. I am able to shift the front derailleur to all three gears with no problems. My rear derailleur is skipping gears when I shift. I am able to shift from the lowest rear gear to the highest rear gear but I do not know how to adjust the derailleur it when is sk ipping gears. For example when I am on the biggest rear sprocket and I shift to the next gear the chain may skip one sproket and shift to the third sproket. This does not happen with all gears. Is there any way to adjust the shifter.

My set up includes

Shimano XT M760 Mountain Shifter Brake Levers
    SHIMANO DEORE XT RD-M760 SGS REAR DERAILLEUR
    Shimano XT FD-M760A Front Derailleur
    Crankset TruVativ 5D 3.0, 22/32/44T
    Sunrace CSM969-AVOS, 11-32T 9-speed
    SHIMANO SLX LX XT Deore HG73 9 Speed Chain

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Step one, make sure you have 9s shift levers to match your 9s cassette. the next step is to make sure your cables run 100% free.

Now you can use the cable adjuster (trim) barrel on the RD or levers to set the shifting as follows. Shift the shift lever to the 2nd highest gear (8 if it's numbered on the lever). The RD should be on the 2nd smallest cog. If not adjust the barrel until it shifts to that gear. Shift to high and back to 8th, it should make those shifts fine, keep adjusting until it does. Now shift to 7th and back to 8th. Both should be fine. Now work the entire range. You might need to fine tune the trim a bit to balance the performance upshifting and downshifting through the range.

If you still have problems, the most common causes, are sticky cables or housings, housings cut too long or too short, "B" screw mis-adjusted so RD sits too far or too close to the cassette.
    fb
    www.chain-L.com

The key to solving any problem is to understand and address the underlying cause.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006