mtbr member
    Jun 2011

Need some help figuring out upgrades.

I guess I will start off with the bike and what I use it for. It is a 2000 Cannondale Super V700sx that I use for riding around Dallas trails. That is mainly single track and XC riding, no big drops or DH around here to speak of. Anyway it is all original except for wheelset along with Formula K24/203mm up front and K18/185mm in the back. The reason for posting here is that I want to do some work on the drivetrain. Oh I am 230lbs without equipment.

The shifters are 2000 era Deore LX rapid fire with a Deore LX front derailleur (unk exact model) and a Deore XT rear derailleur RD-M750 (32-11 9sp cassette). The crank is Coda and I have not measured to se the throw yet. So the parts are all pretty old, but they work and do not seem to be worn out.

What I am looking for is a more positive shift, everything is kind of "mushy" and heavy right now. I did not realize how much better the new stuff felt until I went to the shop to get a few things. Of course I had to play with the new bikes and found how solid the shifting felt. I want to stick with Shimano because I like the finger and thumb shift as opposed to the SRAM thumb/thumb although I did like how the SRAM snicked from gear to gear.

So I have done a bit of research and I think the shifters will have more effect then anything lse. I have noticed that when a person asks about an upgrade with a newer bike that most recommend the shifters and keeping whatever derailleur they already have. Would this hold true with as old of a derailleur set as I have? Have there been significant enough improvements in derailleurs to justify replacement?

I do not know if I want to go 10sp at this point. That would definatly encompass a new cassette and rear derailleur. I have found a few options that I need opinions on. The Shimano Deore XT SL-M770 looks good (can be had for a reasonable price) but I see it advertised as 9sp and 10sp. Will it do either? I have also found the XTR SL-M970 for 9sp and 980 for 10sp.

If I am beter off changing my rear derailleur as what I have is old enough to justify it then I might as well go 10sp. I can ge a Shimano SLX HG81 10sp Cassette for $45. I would probably do a RD-M773 for the rear derailleur.

So if my old stuff should be sufficient then I wil stay 9sp and do shifters, just depends on what I find a good deal with. If it is worth the trouble to upgade derailleurs then I will go 10sp. Certainly cheaper to stay 9sp.

I will also look at upgrading the crank, probably an XT or SLX. Don't know yet and will depend on what direction I go with the rest of the drivetrain. Going 9sp might free up some funds to replace Fox Vanilla in the rear.

Thanks for any responces.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    When is the last time the cables and housings were changed? These affect shifting crispness more than anything else. A new set might bring your current components close to performance of new ones.

Be careful with the rear der. model numbers if you decide to upgrade. The 770 is a 9sp rapid rise. The 771 is high normal, 772 is a shadow (high normal).

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Long time ago, as in never I guess. Do they need to be lubricated like a motorcycles clutch cable? Or do they just need to be replaced?

I guess its time to do a search and figure out what rapid rise is....
    Last edited by joeycoates; 07-07-2011 at 09:21 AM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by joeycoates View Post
    Long time ago, as in never I guess. Do they need to be lubricated like a motorcycles clutch cable? Or do they just need to be replaced?

I guess its time to do a search and figure out what rapid rise is....
    Replace the cables and the housings. As stated above, this is the first thing to do and might have dramatic results. No lube...it just collects dirt.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011

Really need some help

hey everyone! I just got my first bike so I am excited but at the same time uninformed. I just got a trek 4300d. There is no going back now but was wondering first, is it a good started bike, and what upgrades should I consider. If I should upgrade something, what brand of part and about how much it costs. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!

I Have Cookies
    Quote Originally Posted by kettlebell99 View Post
    hey everyone! I just got my first bike so I am excited but at the same time uninformed. I just got a trek 4300d. There is no going back now but was wondering first, is it a good started bike, and what upgrades should I consider. If I should upgrade something, what brand of part and about how much it costs. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!
    woah.... slow down there! I'd copy and paste this whole post ^^^^ and post it over in the beginners corner. your welcome in advance......
    The most important thing is what God thinks about it. He will have the final say. Joshua Stinebrink

____
    Kimo