mtbr member

Need some help / advice from a drivetrain guru

I've been trying to do some research on the best option for a drivetrain on a new (to me) bike, but trying to figure out the compatibility especially w/ so many options is making my head spin. Hopefully a drivetrain guru can point me in the right direction.

My current bike is a 2013 Rocky Mountain Altitude which has a full XO1 1x11 groupset w/ a 32t chainring (94 BCD) and I believe it has a PF BB92 bottom bracket? (amazing how difficult it is to actually figure out what BB your bike has) The cassette, chainring, and chain have quite a few miles on them & they are still working, but I definitely don't think they will last too much longer.

I've got a lead on a screaming deal on an almost new SC Nomad 3 that I may be foolish to pass up and will likely pull the trigger on, but the drivetrain is totally wrong for the trails I ride, so I'm trying to figure out what the easiest and most cost-effective way to get a dialed drivetrain with a decent range on this Nomad to at least get it rolling and see if I prefer it to my RM. My preference would be to not drop a ton of coin right off the bat and to use as many parts from the XO1 group from my RM as possible, unless it just does not make sense to even try.

The Nomad (which I believe is a 73 threaded BB) currently has a 1x10 with XT cranks (104 BCD) and a 34t chainring (which is too big for me unless I go to that Eagle dinner plate 50t!), an 11-36 cassette, a Zee freeride rear mech, and Saint shifter.

I definitely want to stick with 1x and prefer Sram for drivetrain but I don't care that much.

So what do you think? Is there a good way to be able to use some of those parts from the X01 group? or am I better off just starting from scratch? or trying to make a wider range hack setup with the Shimano stuff? or some combo of the above?

Thanks for your help!

JORBA Member
    Apr 2016
    I think your best best is to leave your current ride alone and upgrade the drivetrain on the new bike. You may just need need a smaller chainring so you don't need to get a huge dinner plate in the rear, a 30/32 chainring in 104 is not very hard to find. I run a 1x10 with 11-36 rear and 32 front and I have yet to run out of granny on any hills. If you still need a bigger rear and don't want to replace your rear hub to fit an 11 sp, Sunrace makes a 11-40 and 11-42 10 speed rear cassette that will fit your current hub. Either of those solutions should work just fine for you.

Here's a link for the sunrace cassette:
    Sunrace CSMX3 11 40 11 42 10 Speed MTB Cassette MX3 Fits Shimano SRAM 1x10 | eBay

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Sunrace's cassette and a 30 or 32 chainring is definitely the cheapest way to go but I have the feeling that this wouldn't be very satisfying long term...and you haven't added any value to the bike.

IMHO/YMMV
    For SRAM fans - keep what you have at the front (no need to shell out for cranks and a chainring until you decide if you like the frame) swap the rear bits and shifter to XO1 level (min bar for their 11-speed not to feel like $h1te) - there are good deals on used derailleurs/shifters at this tier and you can find the cassette on sale pretty easily. Bite the bullet on the 34t long enough to decide if you like the frame. If you can do your own wrenching, you've probably increased your resale value enough to offset most of this cost.

Good luck...

mtbr member
    Thanks for the response - I was thinking of doing something like a larger range cassette b/c i think that 11-36 may be a bit too limited range for my local terrain, but do you know if a large range cassette will work w/ the Zee freeride rear mech? Also, does anybody know if that mech has a clutch?

Thanks again!

Here, diagonally!
    Quote Originally Posted by cnordt24 View Post
    I think your best best is to leave your current ride alone and upgrade the drivetrain on the new bike. You may just need need a smaller chainring so you don't need to get a huge dinner plate in the rear, a 30/32 chainring in 104 is not very hard to find. I run a 1x10 with 11-36 rear and 32 front and I have yet to run out of granny on any hills. If you still need a bigger rear and don't want to replace your rear hub to fit an 11 sp, Sunrace makes a 11-40 and 11-42 10 speed rear cassette that will fit your current hub. Either of those solutions should work just fine for you.

Here's a link for the sunrace cassette:
    Sunrace CSMX3 11 40 11 42 10 Speed MTB Cassette MX3 Fits Shimano SRAM 1x10 | eBay
    Basically agree. I'd just order up a 30t ring from Wolftooth (or whoever else sells them, I just happen to have theirs), shorten chain as needed and that will get you rolling on the Nomad and you can fine-tune later. As long as you keep in mind that blowing up your legs or walking a climb is not the end of the world, you'll be fine.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    If the X01 stuff is worn to the point of needing replacement soon there's little point in worrying about swapping it over to the Nomad. Of course, there's also the question of whether the XT stuff on the Santa Cruz is so worn that it should be replaced.

Assuming this is a speed dating-type thing and you want to use the 32 x 10-42 gearing you have to try out the Nomad, there's not much you can use, unless the wheel sizes are the same and you just swap the wheel with the SRAM driver (not much sense in relacing a wheel at this point). The X01 cassette won't fit the Shimano freehub on the Nomad. The chain is no problem: SRAM 11 spd chain works fine on Shimano 10 spd. The chainring isn't compatible because the BCD is different. Nor can you use the BB or crankset. The BB 92 shell is wider than than 73mm shell.

If you can swap the wheels, you can move over all the SRAM kit; cassette, RD, shifter and chain. You'll still be stuck with the 34t chainring, though, because you can't swap the cranks or chainring over. In this scenario, you could just get a smaller chainring in 104 BCD.

If the wheel sizes are different, then you're stuck with the XT drivetrain. I don't mean that in a bad way; I'm a fan of XT. You just won't have use for any of the SRAM gear except maybe the chain. In this scenario, your option is roughly the same: get a smaller chainring in 104 BCD. That's cheaper than getting a crankset in 96 BCD. To really match the low end gearing you now have, though, you'll have to get a One Up or Wolftooth 42t GC (there are others I'm sure) behind the XT cassette to get a bigger cog. That would then match the low gearing you have on the X01. You may also need a goat link or longer b screw to get the shifting crisp.

A final caveat, I don't know if the travel, chain growth or the wheelbase on the bikes is the same or close. If not, if swapping over the chain or the shifter and cable, make sure it's the correct length.

mtbr member
    Wow great responses - thanks for the help - I'm always impressed by the level of knowledge here.

Of course now I realize that I left out critical info, the wheels. They are both 27.5 so i should be able to use the wheels w/ the hubs w/ the XD driver
    Last edited by skyno; 09-13-2016 at 01:11 PM. Reason: Duh!

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by skyno View Post
    Thanks for the response - I was thinking of doing something like a larger range cassette b/c i think that 11-36 may be a bit too limited range for my local terrain, but do you know if a large range cassette will work w/ the Zee freeride rear mech? Also, does anybody know if that mech has a clutch?

Thanks again!
    Zee does have a clutch. It, however, has a short cage which may be rough with a GC. Its total capacity per Shimano is 25t which is exceeded by adding a GC. One Up has an extended cage to modify the Zee for better shifting to its 42t cog. RADr Cage - OneUp Components US

Here's a guy stating he used an unmodified Zee RD on a Wolftooth 42t GC; it was "fine" but not great. https://vikapproved.wordpress.com/20...ee-derailleur/ Turns out it too was a Nomad.

Here's an older thread discussing short cage RD with 42t GC. There are some references to Zee RD. Wolf or OneUp 42T Cassette Cog with Short Cage Derailleur