mtbr member
    Oct 2006

need to replace sram sx4

I need to replace my sram sx4 shifters because one of them has bound itself up and for the cost to have it taken apart and hopefully fixed its not worth the hassle. However i am planning to purchase a new bike for a college graduation present for myself so there is no need to go over board as the bike will be replaced come spring time however i would still like the old bike to be functional. looking to spend around under 100 dollars. originally i was looking to get the sram x7 shifters but i can not find any 8 speed models available. I have a shimano front derailer and a i have a sram sx5 rear derailer with 1:1 ratio so it needs to fit those components as well.
    Thanks for the help

opps forgot to say i do not want the sram sx4's again

mtbr member
    Jul 2003

If you want to stay with....

the trigger type shifter you are SOL! The SX4 is the highest level trigger that SRAM currently makes in 8 speed. You can get SX5 twisters in 7 or 8 speed but that's it for the 1:1 ratio SRAM shifters. It you want to go any higher than the SX4 trigger or SX5 twist shifter you'll have to go 9 speed.

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    The sram sx 7 says that it fits a shimano or sram front derailer and sram rear derailer with 1:1 ratio, and i found someone else who had swapped from sx4's to sx 7's thats why i started searching for the sx7's. However i am a newb to this type of stuff, but just wanted to make sure that they really wont work because i would hate to buy another set of sx4's

mtbr member
    Jul 2003

That's correct....

the X7 does work with Shimano or SRAM front D's, but only with SRAM rears. But they don't make the 8 speed version of the X7 anymore unfortunately. And I haven't seen any around in a long time. Universal cycles still has some of the X5's in 8 speed, go here http://www.universalcycles.com/shopp...3&category=773
    They're a little better than the X4's, the equivalent of a shimanon Deore shifter. Not the greatest they make, but they'll keep you in buisness for about $40 a set. Better than not riding!

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    thanks so much so the sram x5 will work with all my components sorry i'm new to these parts compatabilities i'm pretty sure it will work with my rear derailleur as that is an sx5 and it says it works with the 1:1 ratio but i can't find whether mine is esp or not, and it doesn't state what type of front derailleur
    Again thanks for your help hopefully i'll be able to order this soon and get back to riding

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    well i was able to find myself a set of 2006 x7's that will fit the bill for less money on close out, it will be nice to be able to ride the bike again and having more than 3 gears