mtbr member
    Jun 2013

Need to replace crankset.

I recently purchased a 29-er through amazon and have been riding it very frequently. There is one problem though, the crankset was damaged after the first ride, several teeth are already chipped and the entire gearset is slightly bent. I currently have the SR Suntour XCC-202, thankfully, Amazon gave me a $80 refund to repair the damaged part.

What I am looking for is a crankset in the $60-$80 price range that will be durable enough to withstand daily mountain riding. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

This is the bike i purchased if you want to see the full specs. I got the overdrive-v, there is a full list of parts at the bottom of the page. The damage was from riding alone, I have had no falls yet and have not ran my crankset/chain/cassette into anything.

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    well if wacking the rings on rocks and logs nothing is going to last long... get a set with a bash guard...

not sure what gearing/speeds you are using but do a google search.. there is a mess of take off and OE - shimano SLX for around that price. few Raceface's too but both are going to need a bash guard added if you're hitting the rings...
    Going to try and bring Trail Tire TV back. go take a look... http://trailtiretv.blogspot.com/

turtles make me hot
    OR... Simply replace the big ring with a bash guard and buy some other cool accessory with the leftover money.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by NYrr496 View Post
    OR... Simply replace the big ring with a bash guard and buy some other cool accessory with the leftover money.
    +1. Not sure what you mean the gearing is bent, but replacing the big ring with a bashguard could work. You will lose your top end gearing so if you do use your big ring a lot this may not be a good solution. However any ring is going to lose against rocks..

mtbr member
    May 2013
    If you don't mind 2x9 or 2x10, you can get the Truvativ Aka 2.1 for cheap at Merlin Cycles. This one include a GXP BB and is very nice (it include a bashguard).

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    also remember you will the a tool(s) to pull/replace the crankset you are taking off and putting on. But the bash guard is the best idea. I have been running 2x9 for a couple of years now.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by NYrr496 View Post
    Exactly what I would do in his position! Great idea

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by jdgang View Post
    also remember you will the a tool(s) to pull/replace the crankset you are taking off and putting on. But the bash guard is the best idea. I have been running 2x9 for a couple of years now.
    I have a mutual friend who will be helping me with this.

I only have a 7 speed cassette so I am not sure I want to go down to 2 speed crankset, I use the higher gears fairly frequently so I would like keep that option if possible.

As for the damaged ring, the outer ring is actually not damaged at all, it is the middle ring that has all the chipped teeth. I honestly have no idea what caused the damage as the crankset has not hit anything at all yet, as far as I know.

One more thing, the crankset is riveted so not going to be able to replace just one ring.