mtbr member
    Apr 2005

New question here. Need a rear hub recomendation

Alright, I have a 2003 Specialized Hard Rock. I recently upgraded the front fork to an '05 Marz DJ3 ($215 new, woot) and had my stock rear wheel trued at the LBS.

They got the wheel pretty straight, but said it wouldn't last alot longer so I have been comparing new rims and I think I have settled on a Sun Mammoth rim as the perfect choice to stand up to abuse and fit my budget (based on MTBR reviews).

Now since I will be replacing the rim I figure this would be the best time to upgrade the stock rear hub as I have been annoyed by slow engagement / lots of slack when striving for that last second burst when droping off a ledge ( I hate when I go for that peddle to raise the front wheel and there is nothing there, puts me all out of shape )

From reading the hub reviews I think I would really like the Hadley Racing DH Rear Hub. Probably over kill for my riding, but I like over kill. = no worries

Kinda out of my budget though. So any ideas on a similar product, thats slightly less pricey ???

Thanks

mtbr member
    Go for an XT hub. They're cheap and last for a long time.
    Quote Originally Posted by JFoster
    Alright, I have a 2003 Specialized Hard Rock. I recently upgraded the front fork to an '05 Marz DJ3 ($215 new, woot) and had my stock rear wheel trued at the LBS.

They got the wheel pretty straight, but said it wouldn't last alot longer so I have been comparing new rims and I think I have settled on a Sun Mammoth rim as the perfect choice to stand up to abuse and fit my budget (based on MTBR reviews).

Now since I will be replacing the rim I figure this would be the best time to upgrade the stock rear hub as I have been annoyed by slow engagement / lots of slack when striving for that last second burst when droping off a ledge ( I hate when I go for that peddle to raise the front wheel and there is nothing there, puts me all out of shape )

From reading the hub reviews I think I would really like the Hadley Racing DH Rear Hub. Probably over kill for my riding, but I like over kill. = no worries

Kinda out of my budget though. So any ideas on a similar product, thats slightly less pricey ???

Thanks

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Hmmm ... from the reviews the XTs seam to be pretty hit or miss. About a 50/50 split on satisfield users and premature failure ....

Much more doable price though ....

Maybe a used Hadley Racing DH Rear Hub. Can someone confirm that the Hadley rear hub would work with my other components / frame, etc ???

mtbr member
    The problem with most XT hubs is that people don't know how to service them correctly

So if you get one: know what you're doing or take it to a decent shop

Edibles
    hope xc bolt on and forget,and it's lite to

bang
    i would shoot for the hope bulb. they seem to get decent reviews, and have a 36-point engagement which should help you out.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyco-Dude
    i would shoot for the hope bulb. they seem to get decent reviews, and have a 36-point engagement which should help you out.
    Alright so its Hadley vs. Hope

Hadley -
    Product Description

Outfit your DH or FR bike with the best hubs in the world. Built to handle anything you can throw at them. The rear hub uses two adjustable cartridge bearing, and a lightweight three-pawl titanium freehub body for ultra fast engagement. For use with 12mm bolt on DH and FR rear drop outs.

Product Specifications

Disc Mount: 6-Bolt Pattern

Bearings: Replaceable, adjustable sealed cartridge bearings

Hole: 32 Hole

Width: 135mm

Axle: 12mm

Weight: 355g

Hope -
    Product Description

The Bulb hubs are light enough for XC but strong enough for DH thanks to its CNC body and oversized cartridge bearings. 6-bolt rotor compatible.

Product Specifications

Rear Hub

Disc Mount: 6-Bolt

Bearings: 4 Cartridge Bearings

Hole: 32

Axle: Quick Release

Weight: 375g

Now I would obviously prefer the Hadley, especially since both hubs can be had for about $170 (Hadley on Ebay, Hope from pricepoint). But can I even use the hadley with its 12mm axle on my Specialized Hard Rock frame? I am guessing since my stock rear wheel has a quick release axle that I cannot ...

bang
    haha! no, they don't cost the same. i just searched ebay; that hadley hub is in the uk (dunno how much it costs to ship from there to here) and it's not a buy-it-now auction. you will NOT be getting that hub for anywhere near $170. besides, you could probably find a bulb for less than retail on ebay too if you have the patience.

secondly, as you guessed, you won't be able to use it as your bike does not have a 12mm through-axle in the rear. you'll need a quick-release hub.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyco-Dude
    haha! no, they don't cost the same. i just searched ebay; that hadley hub is in the uk (dunno how much it costs to ship from there to here) and it's not a buy-it-now auction. you will NOT be getting that hub for anywhere near $170. besides, you could probably find a bulb for less than retail on ebay too if you have the patience.

secondly, as you guessed, you won't be able to use it as your bike does not have a 12mm through-axle in the rear. you'll need a quick-release hub.
    There were 4 Hadleys on ebay and I think 1 went for ~$158 ... but they are in the UK and though the seller lists worlwide shipping I don't know the cost.

Since posting I have been told the Hadleys are convertable and can be made to work with my frame. But I am not sure if its worth the price / hassle for me. Might just have to get a bulb ... which are strangely $218 new on ebay vs. $169 at pricepoint ...

Edit/update: Alright, I am pretty much set on the hope bulb hub. So its lookin like $169 for the hub, $40 for the Sun mammoth rim, and about $100 for spokes and build labor at my LBS ... so $310 total ... damn thats alot for 1 wheel ... I bought the bike for $325 new, lol
    Last edited by JFoster; 02-06-2006 at 02:21 PM.