mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Need Options on Bad Race Face Deus BB??

Left Cup Bearing Seized. What can I do. Replace the hole thing with new Rcae Face X-Type BB? Go to a diffrent brand that will work with Deus Cranks if so what BB to go with? Does Race Face warranty for this problem or am I S.O.L. Thanks

Chrome Toaster
    They probably will warranty it. You'll get a much better answer calling warranty than asking here. If you do need to replace it X-type BB's are cheap. When you say its seized do you mean it won't turn at all by hand or do the cranks just feel tight when you turn them? Its not normal for them to seize unless they run dry out of grease or are badly side loaded from incorrect crank installation.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    The right cup spins fine. The left is very hard to spin. I checked the bearing and it seems like it has lube on it just does not spin. How would I know if I have side load? I have no idea why it did this it only has about 20 rides on it.

Chrome Toaster
    Outboard bearings have a pretty long break in time. They will feel very stiff for the first few hundred miles. Thats normal even if one seems to spin a lot easier than the other. I say give them some more time.

By sideloading I mean the bearings are being squashed inwards by the crank arms being too tight. Outboard bearings, the race face models in particular are very sensitive to incorrect installation. The BB shell must be faced to correct tolerances (exactly 68 or 73mm) and the spacers need to be correctly setup. Remember the arm to arm length of the cranks is always a fixed length with no adjustability. That means if the BB shell is slightly longer than it should the cups will end up further apart and the arms will press against them harder than they should when they are torqued down. The race face system requires extreme torque to set the arm into place. They provide a set of elastomers to compensate for different tolerances.

When the cranks are new they should spin very tight but they should not bind. By binding I mean when you turn them with your hand you shouldn't feel any "stepping" or notchiness in the motion. That means they are likely sideloded and you should try the smaller elastomer (assuming you are sure the spacers are all set correctly) Movement should feel stiff but smooth and consistant all the way around during the break in period.