mtbr member
    Apr 2004

need new drive train - replace same or get new/different?

Have a 2009 Ellsworth Truth with a 2001 XT/XTR buildkit. Been having chain break and ghost shifting issues. Mechanic (whom I trust) tells me entire drive train needs replacing. Not suprising given how much wear its gotten and how many OR winters it went through. Quote is close to $400 by the time I include chain, cassette, chain rings... my question is this: Should I upgrade to something else like a 2x10? I know I'd have to add shifters and some other stuff, but it seems like a lotta coin to drop! thanks

遅すぎ
    Apr 2008
    $400 seems like a lot for chain, cassette, chain rings unless you're getting xtr cassette and rings... 9 speed XT or sram 980 cassette should be in the $60 range, xt/kmc 9 speed chain is <$40; You might be better off getting a whole new crankset, especially if it's a 2001, which I believe is pre hollowtech II. The weight savings from an XTR casette and rings is probably not worth it for most people. Shimano XT level and 3rd party rings sets should not cost you more than $130, especially if you don't actually need a new big ring.

I actually was in a similar situation, my derailleur was shredding cables and my cassette was shot so I took the plunge for 2x10 using my existing xtr crankset. My primary reason was how impressed I was with the new clutch technology on the 10 speed derailleurs demoing bikes with it. I paid $95 for an xt shadow+, $50 for an xt 10 speed cassette, $30 for a KMC 10 speed chain, $80 for saint rear shifter, $40 for a 34T blackspire. Not much more than replacing the 9 speed stuff. Admittedly the XT cassette is now closer to $80 than $50. You can get a full xt shifter set for $120, but really you just need the rear shifter.

turtles make me hot
    Shimano Deore M590 Triple Chainset | Buy Online | ChainReactionCycles.com

Get this, an XT Cassette and Sram X7 shifters and derailleurs. You'll be ballin' on a budget.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    I actually was in a similar situation, my derailleur was shredding cables and my cassette was shot so I took the plunge for 2x10 using my existing xtr crankset. My primary reason was how impressed I was with the new clutch technology on the 10 speed derailleurs demoing bikes with it. I paid $95 for an xt shadow+, $50 for an xt 10 speed cassette, $30 for a KMC 10 speed chain, $80 for saint rear shifter, $40 for a 34T blackspire. Not much more than replacing the 9 speed stuff. Admittedly the XT cassette is now closer to $80 than $50. You can get a full xt shifter set for $120, but really you just need the rear shifter.
    The XT 2x10 system with rear clutch is pretty nice stuff. Stopped chain slap on the two bikes its on. Unless u race or weight wennie, just get XT. If you buy from online, it will cost about half as much as the LBS.
    When the **** did we get ice cream?

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    so, went over the "bid" in detail today at the LBS. includes derailleur cogs (mine are shot) and also brake pads, cables, and housings. his prices for the parts are actually pretty competitive. the real question is whether or not to replace or to upgrade to 2x10. would like to do that, but looks like it would nearly double the price...