I am a work in progress

New question here. In need of a new crankset, please help.

This will be my first major upgrade on my bike, and I will be doing it myself so any advice you can offer would be greatly appreciated. I am good with tools, as I have been brought up using them and taught to do for myself, so this shouldn't be a big deal, but I want to have my bases covered.

I have an 8 speed setup and I don't want to upgrade to a 9 speed. I have been told I can use any crankset even though I have an 8 speed cassette, is this true?

I ride mostly cross country, am 6'5'', and 190 lbs. The bike is a Cannondale F400

I have been looking at the Race Face Evolve XC. What are your opinions on this setup?

I am looking to spend no more than roughly $150, plus required tools to remove my current crankset. I will also be needing a new chain.

Any info/suggestions you guys can provide would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

The attached pic is of my large chainring and its poor condition. If you look close you can see the bur on the tooth behind the crank arm and the small gouges in it. The chain is getting to where it will almost ride off of the ring if not for the FD holding it on there. Definitely time for an upgrade.

ETA: here is a link to the crankset I am looking at: http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/177...X-Crankset.htm
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by gr8outdrsmn; 03-23-2009 at 06:44 PM.
    Don't take life too seriously, you'll never get out alive.

I should be studying...
    The Evolve crank is good meat & potatoes crank, in general, I find Race Face rings shift even better than shimano. I wouldn't consider them light, but they are very stiff cranks. I use the original Deus XC cranks and I really like them. Depending on what kind of crank your currently have you may need up to three tools.

You will definitely need this:
    http://www.parktool.com/products/det...5&item=BBT%2D9
    to install your new bottom bracket.

and if you have a traditional bottom bracket installed you will need this:
    http://www.parktool.com/products/det...&item=BBT%2D22
    to remove it and you may need one of these to remove your crank arms:

http://www.parktool.com/products/det...&item=CCP%2D22
    or
    http://www.parktool.com/products/det...6&item=CWP%2D7
    or
    http://www.parktool.com/products/det...&item=CCP%2D44
    You won't need these if your crank has self extracting bolts.

Hope this helps
    Formerly known as iceaxe

I am a work in progress
    Wow, thanks for the info iceaxe.

just to be clear, can i use this crankset with an 8 speed setup in the rear?

I am a work in progress
    I think i found my answer in this thread 8 speed vs. 9 speed chain rings.

Thanks again for the help. I knew i needed the crank puller for the square taper setup, but that was the extent of my knowledge.I had no clue about the other tools, haha.

I am a work in progress
    Thanks for the help. I decided to go ahead and replace the chain and rear cassette since they were not that much more money and are a little on the worn side too.

Here is my final order. Now I get to play the waiting game with UPS haha.

1 Finish Line Teflon Grease 3.5oz Tube $6.49
    1 Finish Line Cross Country 4oz Drip Bottle $5.95
    1 Park BBT-22 Bottom Bracket Tool $12.95
    1 Park SR-1 Chain Whip/Sprocket Remover $16.45
    1 Park FR-5g Cassette Tool W/Guide Pin $5.95
    1 Park BBT-9 Bottom Bracket Tool $14.94
    1 Race Face Evolve XC Crankset with X-Drive Bottom Bracket $144.95
    Black [175mm]
    1 SRAM PC-870 6/7/8 Speed Chain $24.99
    1 SRAM PG-850 8-speed cassette 11-32 $21.99
    1 Park Tool CCP-22C Crank Puller for Square Cranks $12.78
    Sub-total: $267.44
    $0 Tax*
    FREE UPS Ground 5 Day FREE at $125* Shipping*
    $267.44 Total

SIDE NOTE: Tree fort bikes is great to deal with. this will be my 3rd substantial order from them.

I should be studying...
    Smart idea changing the chain and cassette all at the same time. you're going to really dig those cranks. I'm not sure if the installation has changed for X-type cranks, but proper install is absolutely essential for getting max bearing life.
    Formerly known as iceaxe

I am a work in progress
    Yep, I am a perfectionist when it comes to installations, haha. Thanks for the tip.

I would say your large chainring having some wear isn't worth $265 for a new crank and parts and tools, you're just rationalizing I would have just bought a new chainring myself...
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

I am a work in progress
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikinfoolferlife
    I would say your large chainring having some wear isn't worth $265 for a new crank and parts and tools, you're just rationalizing I would have just bought a new chainring myself...

sssshhhhhhhhhhh don't tell anybody

it's old compontentry that needed replacing. That's my story and im sticking to it, haha

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Get an older race face turbine, it'll save you alot of money and its a great, light, crank!

I am a work in progress
    Well, my stuff is finally on its way and should be here Tuesday. Now, do you guys have any pointers on setting up my chainline? Or any other info that may help me along the way?

I am a work in progress
    I came home for lunch and the UPS driver met me shortly after I got here, woohoo

Now all I have to do is find time to get this stuff on my bike.

I should be studying...
    ah... new toys judging from tools you purchased, your about to make a pretty siginificant upgrade to your ride.
    Formerly known as iceaxe

I am a work in progress
    Yep, I have always said, if you're going to do it, do it right haha

After this I am going to throw on a Black Spire BRP to protect my purdy new crankset

mtbr member
    If you're 6'5" you owe it to yourself to try cranks longer than 175mm.

You might not think it's a big deal until you've tried 180, 185s, or 190s. But in my experience it's one of the best upgrades you can make on your bike if you're tall! 29ers, whatever, we're talking about passing more torque from your engine, your legs.

Middleburn RS7s are available in 180mm lengths.

I am a work in progress
    Thanks chomxxo, I will definitely look into those. I wanted to keep the price down on this bike's upgrades, as I intend on buying another bike that will be my main bike; and this bike will be my backup. I will most likely go with the longer arms in the future because I want the bike to be perfect for me. Thanks again for the recommendation.

I am a work in progress
    Well here it is

1st pic is the old stock setup

2nd pic is the new setup

3rd & 4th are self explanatory

It rides so well. Changing gears with the old setup was like clunk, clunk, clunk. Now, I barely notice the change. WELL worth the money

ETA: I had a piece of pie and no plate, so I removed the ugly pie plate to use, haha

I should be studying...
    Looks good, give your bike a little bit more of a stealth look.
    Formerly known as iceaxe

I am a work in progress
    thanks, haha, yeah I was thinking of adding black wheelsets, but not sure sure. I will probably leave it like this (plus the soon to be Black Spire) for quite a while, or until something craps out on me and has to be replaced. It does great now.

OnTheTrailAgain
    Quote Originally Posted by gr8outdrsmn
    Well here it is

1st pic is the old stock setup

2nd pic is the new setup

3rd & 4th are self explanatory

It rides so well. Changing gears with the old setup was like clunk, clunk, clunk. Now, I barely notice the change. WELL worth the money

ETA: I had a piece of pie and no plate, so I removed the ugly pie plate to use, haha
    Oh crap! Thanks a lot GR...

I pried myself away from getting a Race Face Evolve set up with Time ATAC pedals
    and that picture gave me wood faster than Salma Hayek in From Dusk Till Dawn!

Damn that set up is sexy!

It would look sinister on my Roscoe!

Today, I'll be ordering and XT Crankset with XT M770 Pedals.
    Not nearly as sexy, but reliable as all hell.

Now I'm going to exit this thread and "not" look back!

OnTheTrailAgain
    Quote Originally Posted by gr8outdrsmn
    So sorry 2ndgen. Man, I had forgotten about Dusk Till Dawn, I gotta watch that again

Thanks

Hey that XT setup will give you many, many miles of fun and exhaustion; and there are many more Shimano fans that are going to love it far more than mine, haha.

Well, I am off to order a bottle cage or two. I found that one of the welds was broken on one of my cages; and since Pricepoint has the Sette cages on sale for $2.18, I think, some nice black cages will fit it well.

PS. Those little SRAM Powerlinks are awesome! so easy to use and remove and put right back on. I think I will order the 4 pack to have a few extras lying around. You never know when you might need one

ETA: I finally figured out why you would buy the bike specific open ended wrenches. I used a standard crescent wrench and it squished the rubber seal on my pedals because it was too wide, but they popped right back into place. So, now I get to order more tools, haha, don't want to use anything but the correct tool on the bike.
    Enjoy your set! They look awesome!

And here is what I meant with the Selma Hayek Reference:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=albIAvi6zag

(Could post the video, but don't want to get scolded by the mods! )

I am a work in progress
    So sorry 2ndgen. Man, I had forgotten about Dusk Till Dawn, I gotta watch that again

Thanks

Hey that XT setup will give you many, many miles of fun and exhaustion; and there are many more Shimano fans that are going to love it far more than mine, haha.

Well, I am off to order a bottle cage or two. I found that one of the welds was broken on one of my cages; and since Pricepoint has the Sette cages on sale for $2.18, I think, some nice black cages will fit it well.

PS. Those little SRAM Powerlinks are awesome! so easy to use and remove and put right back on. I think I will order the 4 pack to have a few extras lying around. You never know when you might need one

ETA: I finally figured out why you would buy the bike specific open ended wrenches. I used a standard crescent wrench and it squished the rubber seal on my pedals because it was too wide, but they popped right back into place. So, now I get to order more tools, haha, don't want to use anything but the correct tool on the bike.
    Last edited by gr8outdrsmn; 04-02-2009 at 03:39 AM.