mtbr member

Need new crank arm. Please help.

I have an 04 haro v3 with a Truvativ X-Flow 42/32/22 crankset and a Truvativ Cartridge BB. My left crank arm has stripped out pedal threads. I really just need a replacement for that arm ideally. I have had difficulty finding this item after much googling. My crappy LBS has been trying to get a generic one in for me for a couple weeks, but have been unsuccessful. I am really tired of their BS, but thats another story for another day. What I am asking is does anyone know where I could get a suitable replacement in a timely fashion? As long as it fits and is similar to my other one, I dont really care if its pink. Will I have compatibility issues with the fit into the BB if I go with something else? I know the fitting is square and sort of tapered. Would an entirely new crankset be a better solution? For instance, I can get an FSA Alpha Drive E Crankset for $37. Would this be compatible with my BB? Thanks.

In my mind, I can do it!
    Quote Originally Posted by dingleberry
    I have an 04 haro v3 with a Truvativ X-Flow 42/32/22 crankset and a Truvativ Cartridge BB. My left crank arm has stripped out pedal threads. I really just need a replacement for that arm ideally. I have had difficulty finding this item after much googling. My crappy LBS has been trying to get a generic one in for me for a couple weeks, but have been unsuccessful. I am really tired of their BS, but thats another story for another day. What I am asking is does anyone know where I could get a suitable replacement in a timely fashion? As long as it fits and is similar to my other one, I dont really care if its pink. Will I have compatibility issues with the fit into the BB if I go with something else? I know the fitting is square and sort of tapered. Would an entirely new crankset be a better solution? For instance, I can get an FSA Alpha Drive E Crankset for $37. Would this be compatible with my BB? Thanks.
    I think your best bet is searching out ebay. There are a lot of hits for cranksets. It sounds like the crank arm is pretty standard but if not you could always just get a new crankset altogether. As far as I know there are basically only 2 types of fittings. ISIS (star shaped) and the square taper you said your BB has. They are standard so any crank with that configuration should work. Length would be your only concern.

Good luck.

Basura Blanca
    Jan 2004
    How's $16.99? Check aebike.com and drill down thru their parts catalog. They're good folks, and if you call to order, you'll likely be talking to someone who rides. Their catalog is just a pass-through to the QBP catalog, so you could also get the same part by ordering at your LBS, but you'd pay more. I would think any large LBS would have a spare square-taper crank arm laying around; I've got two of them, and I'm just a guy who rides bikes.
    - Joe

In my mind, I can do it!
    Quote Originally Posted by NuMexJoe
    How's $16.99? Check aebike.com and drill down thru their parts catalog. They're good folks, and if you call to order, you'll likely be talking to someone who rides. Their catalog is just a pass-through to the QBP catalog, so you could also get the same part by ordering at your LBS, but you'd pay more. I would think any large LBS would have a spare square-taper crank arm laying around; I've got two of them, and I'm just a guy who rides bikes.
    - Joe
    The guys at aebike.com are good people. They sent me the wrong part and when I called about it they said they would send another one and just keep the one I have because its not worth it sending back in the mail. cool.

mtbr member
    Thanks guys. My LBS really sucks, it is the Sun and Ski here in Nashville. If your ever in town don't try to buy anything there its a joke! They are so unorganized, its probably laying around somewhere and they are too lazy to look for it. They ordered a generic one 2 weeks ago and still haven't managed to get it in. I bet they are in really high demand. Not really sure of the length of the X Flow 170mm or 175mm, I guess I need to look into that. Thanks again.

Basura Blanca
    Jan 2004
    Should be stamped on the inside of the arm, but the chances are 99.9% that it's 175mm.