mtbr member
    Jun 2007

Smile Need more speed on Klein Pulse 2 Hardtail used for commuting

I am/was an avid mountainbiker for the past 12 years or so until I crashed my Turner XCE into a tree last november and suffered a third degree separated shoulder. Had surgery in December. Doc cleared me for mountainbiking for this coming Sept. In the meantime I am commuting to work on my old 1995 Klein Pulse 2. It has a square tapered bottom bracket with a 4 hole XT crankset. Any ideas on how to change the drivetrain to get more speed, run out of gears on the flats. Also, let me know if I should have posted this somewhere else, I am a newbie, my first post.

By the way, I have a sweet Bianchi Giro Roadbike I have used for commuting but those damned things are just not comfortable no matter what you try. I may sell the damn thing, barely ridden.........rather stay with the Klein.

Thanks for the help!

No good in rock gardens..
    Cheapest way would be to get a smaller (higher geared) cogset for it. Some blokes on the weight weenies forum run road bike cassettes.
    My Cannondale Lefty keeps failing....

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    THanks, any other ideas, any crankset ideas, larger 3rd chainring? Not sure if the road cassette would be enough?? Anyone have any experience with this?

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Get a larger big chainring. If your cassette already has an 11t cog a "road" cassette will make no difference.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I have a 11-30 XT 8 Speed cogset and a 40 tooth 3rd chainring on a 4 bolt XT Crankset. Anyone have any ideas for a larger third chainring that would work for my question.

PS I do have a long cage rear derailleur, so should be all set there.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    try a 44 tooth ring. Most mtb triples come in 22 32 44 so it should be easy to find one. Just make sure you get one for the proper number of crank arms and bolt circle diameter.

One Gear
    Get a 46T big ring. What ever you get, check the chain to make sure that it's long enough for the new ring.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Thanks, I was talking to bikeman about a 46, will check it out.
    The Trick to carrying on is not to get carried away