mtbr member
    Mar 2013

Need a lube for bike chain

I've read on this for about a hour and half. What are some of the top lubes? Also only need lube not grease correct? Looking at Finishing Line lube for the chain and their cleaners to use on the whole bike

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    finish line's stuff is fine... I've gone thru tons of diff lubes for chains and finally settled on just using good old fashion Chain Saw chain oil.. works great, last long ..cheap as hell. Next choice would be Chain-L VERY thick and super long lasting oil... bit of a process as you need to take time to clean, soak and condition the chain with it but it'll last you like 6 months without needing a re-apply (depending on conditions and such) plus it really does quiet down the whole drive train it applied properly.

But if you just want basic drip on oil any of the brand name products work fine.. get a "type" to match the condition you ride..

wet, muddy sloppy conditions.. get a true "wet" or true oil lube
    Dry dusty, sandy get a dry lube that doesn't attract dirt (teflon type lubes)

avoid the "wax" lubes. A dry wax lube wors great but for a VERY short time as the wax hardens and can't be "pulled" back into a high stress/tension area like an oil does, and isn't hard enough like teflon type materials to stay in place.
    Going to try and bring Trail Tire TV back. go take a look... http://trailtiretv.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    My wife prefers astroglide!

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by thomllama View Post
    finish line's stuff is fine... I've gone thru tons of diff lubes for chains and finally settled on just using good old fashion Chain Saw chain oil.. works great, last long ..cheap as hell. Next choice would be Chain-L VERY thick and super long lasting oil... bit of a process as you need to take time to clean, soak and condition the chain with it but it'll last you like 6 months without needing a re-apply (depending on conditions and such) plus it really does quiet down the whole drive train it applied properly.

But if you just want basic drip on oil any of the brand name products work fine.. get a "type" to match the condition you ride..

wet, muddy sloppy conditions.. get a true "wet" or true oil lube
    Dry dusty, sandy get a dry lube that doesn't attract dirt (teflon type lubes)

avoid the "wax" lubes. A dry wax lube wors great but for a VERY short time as the wax hardens and can't be "pulled" back into a high stress/tension area like an oil does, and isn't hard enough like teflon type materials to stay in place.
    whats the ill effects of using a dry lube in a wet environment? I'm use to cleaning my motorcycle chain ever 4-600 miles how often do these chains need cleaning?

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    Dry lubes (depending on material type) can actually be washed away.. Oil type lubes repeal water. In all honesty I prefer oil lubes in all conditions.. just it does attract dirt and causes you to be a little more diligent on cleaning and getting goop off if in a high dust/sand area.

A bike chain should be wiped down after every ride, just a quick spin with a rag.. though most people don't do that... it will make the bike drive train last longer and run smoother with less resistance.

As to cleaning you need to do it much more than a motorcycle chain if you want to keep it running smoothly, Bike chains are a good bit tighter built and lighter weight ,.. basically more wimpy

If you don't mind regular simple oiling of the chain the Finishline dry(teflon) lube is pretty good, used it for yrs (New England area) it does need a good application rather regularly and like all teflon lubes it leave a black dusty film on the drive train.. it's actually not bad (actually it's good.. it's teflon dust basically) but looks gunky...

If you have a new chain the stock oil on/in it is the best thing and leave it there!!! it'll last a month easy and more if you're just a weekend rider. It will collect dirt faster but you can limit that by taking a moist (not soaked) rag with alcohol and wipe it off a few time before install and again after the first 1/2 dozen rides. As long as the rag isn't soaked the alcohol wont actually remove the oil but "skin it" making it less tacky.. less gunky

Wet lubes I also like because they kinda let you know when they need re-appling.. the drive train will get noticeably loud and clunky sounding.. when wet lubes are first applied (properly) they are much quieter as the oil softens contact point and lowers noise. Waxes will also but they just wear WAY too fast in my opinion. They will leave the thing looking clean thou and if in a super dust area and you don't mind constant applying can be a good option.. it just needs to be done a LOT.. sometimes during rides if on rather long trips. (something like every 15-20 miles or more) There are those that use it and love the waxes.. Just not me..

In all reality all the lubes work and are fine as long as you keep it up and clean..
    Going to try and bring Trail Tire TV back. go take a look... http://trailtiretv.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by thomllama View Post
    Dry lubes (depending on material type) can actually be washed away.. Oil type lubes repeal water. In all honesty I prefer oil lubes in all conditions.. just it does attract dirt and causes you to be a little more diligent on cleaning and getting goop off if in a high dust/sand area.

A bike chain should be wiped down after every ride, just a quick spin with a rag.. though most people don't do that... it will make the bike drive train last longer and run smoother with less resistance.

As to cleaning you need to do it much more than a motorcycle chain if you want to keep it running smoothly, Bike chains are a good bit tighter built and lighter weight ,.. basically more wimpy

If you don't mind regular simple oiling of the chain the Finishline dry(teflon) lube is pretty good, used it for yrs (New England area) it does need a good application rather regularly and like all teflon lubes it leave a black dusty film on the drive train.. it's actually not bad (actually it's good.. it's teflon dust basically) but looks gunky...

If you have a new chain the stock oil on/in it is the best thing and leave it there!!! it'll last a month easy and more if you're just a weekend rider. It will collect dirt faster but you can limit that by taking a moist (not soaked) rag with alcohol and wipe it off a few time before install and again after the first 1/2 dozen rides. As long as the rag isn't soaked the alcohol wont actually remove the oil but "skin it" making it less tacky.. less gunky

Wet lubes I also like because they kinda let you know when they need re-appling.. the drive train will get noticeably loud and clunky sounding.. when wet lubes are first applied (properly) they are much quieter as the oil softens contact point and lowers noise. Waxes will also but they just wear WAY too fast in my opinion. They will leave the thing looking clean thou and if in a super dust area and you don't mind constant applying can be a good option.. it just needs to be done a LOT.. sometimes during rides if on rather long trips. (something like every 15-20 miles or more) There are those that use it and love the waxes.. Just not me..

In all reality all the lubes work and are fine as long as you keep it up and clean..
    Thanks for the info! If you were in Raleigh NC I would buy you a beer or a few lol

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    internet cheers...

mtbr member
    Need a lube for bike chain-whaleoil.jpg
    Duct tape iz like teh Force. It has a Lite side and a Dark side and it holdz the Universe together.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    What about paraffin wax? It is so easy now with all the quick links, $5 in wax, $10 in a mini crock pot and it is supposed to last a long time.... why not? (Hope I am not starting a "why don't roadies wave" response!)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbikefj View Post
    What about paraffin wax? It is so easy now with all the quick links, $5 in wax, $10 in a mini crock pot and it is supposed to last a long time.... why not? (Hope I am not starting a "why don't roadies wave" response!)

From what I have read that seems to be the problem for some. There seems to be varied reports of how effective it is. Like all things chain lube some like it others not so.

Like many things I suggest you try it and find if it works for you.
    Duct tape iz like teh Force. It has a Lite side and a Dark side and it holdz the Universe together.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I will vote for wax. i tried it after reading a thread here and having heard about it for years.
    Went to the dollar store and bought some paraffin emergency candles and it has been great. Clean dry and not one creak or noise just silence. 400 miles and going strong. Just recently did my other six chains after this experiment. I could see it not working in some circumstances, but here in my location and conditions it is perfect.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    just started to use SQUIRT and im loving it....
    2014 TREK FARLEY
    2013 TREK RUMBLEFISH PRO
    2012 TREK SUPERFLY AL ELITE

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I just started using ProGold Extreme and have been extremely happy with it. It looks like it goes on wet but it stays fairly dry and keeps the chain clean. It works very well in our dry dusty conditions.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by mitzikatzi View Post
    From what I have read that seems to be the problem for some. There seems to be varied reports of how effective it is. Like all things chain lube some like it others not so.

Like many things I suggest you try it and find if it works for you.
    Thanks I was curious. I read the article in Velo and they seemed to love it, I switched my road bike over but had not done the mountain bike. It seems to be promising, but had not done it long.

LCW
    mtbr member
    I used to use T9 Boeshield a lot... Tried White Ligthning... Recently switched to Dumond Tech - seems to be working REALLY well... going to stick to that one.
    2011 Yeti 575 - Fox Float 36 RC2 160 - 31.5 lbs

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    i just made a post at the IBIS forum regarding my experience with squirt chain lube.
    I am just re-posting it here so someone with similar experience can give me any feedback on why this has happened

Squirt Chain Lube ... - Page 4