Spin-stabilized

Need a light square-taper...

... crankset. I wanted to upgrade my bikepacking rig's cranks to one of the newer outboard BB cranks but the BB that's in there now is only about a year old. The chainrings on the other hand are all worn and the alu one (2x9 setup) is warped from all the torque. It was an aftermarket and super light chainring anyway so I expected it to get warped after many years of abuse.

Anyway, I need suggestions on the lightest cranks without going carbon that'll fit a square-taper interface.
    Hey man, wanna go for a klunk?

What's "social pace?"
    May 2008
    BB's are cheap. don't let that keep you from running the cranks you want. I hear the cool thing to do around here is get the XT's off ChainReaction.

That said, I'm a fan of spiderless 1x9 setups and those are some nice light cranks, I tell you. The only one for which you can readily procure replacement chainrings, though, is the White Industries ENO (which is what I'm running).

Spin-stabilized
    thanks. I might go that route. Any issues with running an LX or XT crankset with an 8-speed chain/cassette/rear shifter?

While picking a crankset to suit your bb isn't really the way to go for most situations, not knowing yourr spindle length certainly limits any possible suggestions....
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

Spin-stabilized

bump...

OK. I've abandoned the square taper BB and thinking about getting a more modern crankset with an external BB.

My question is, will an LX crankset (Hollowtech 2 - 9-speed) be compatible with an 8-speed drivetrain (8-speed cassette/front and rear shifters)?

edit: nevermind, found this: 8 spd- 9spd compatibility?

Upgrade it is! If I encounter shifting probs up front with the 8-speed chain then I'll just splurge and get new shifters and a 9-speed cassette.