mtbr member

Need help sourcing a goldtech hollowtech 2 crank bolt and longer m6 bolts!!

I just bought a shimano hone crankset and was reading up on all the possible problem areas of them. So I thought I'd reinforce those areas before they cause a problem.

First is the plastic crank bolt that alot of peeps are prone to breaking, so I did some researching and found a alloy piece made my goldtec that replaces the plastic piece. Thing is its only sold in gb.

http://www.betd.co.uk/product_list.asp?CategoryID=119

Next I read that alot of owners of shimano hollowtech2 cranks strip the crank fixing bolts because the supplied m6 bolts are too short. So I'm trying to source longer bolts that will work with the cranks.

Any help would be greatly appreciated
    Last edited by WeWu; 10-12-2006 at 12:54 AM.

Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
    No help on the Goldtec bit, but for M6 bolts, decently large hardware supply places usually have them, or can tell you where to get them locally.

Actually, I think BETD will sell/ship over here, but it'll cost ya.
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

I don't see the need to replace anything, just install the crank properly following instructions and they're fine. The crankset should come with Shimano's tool to remove and tighten the fixing bolt (which properly positions the non-drive crankarm for correct bearing preload), which is also plastic and tightened with your fingers; if you use this tool and tighten just finger tight, you'll be fine and nothing will break. If you use Park's tool with the handle, just be gentle, it doesn't require much torque. The two bolts that clamp the non-drive arm onto the bb axle are fine, too, as long as you tighten them properly, i.e. alternately tightening each bolt and torquing to spec (use a torque wrench). I'd bet anyone who has problems with these bolts aren't following instructions or torque specs or using incorrect tools.
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by WeWu
    First is the plastic crank bolt that alot of peeps are prone to breaking, so I did some researching and found a alloy piece made my goldtec that replaces the plastic piece. Thing is its only sold in gb.

http://www.betd.co.uk/product_list.asp?CategoryID=119
    I think that BETD will ship outside the UK.

That said, I agree with Bikinfoolferlife; you shouldn't need replacements for either the plastic end cap or the pinch bolts. If you manage to break the end cap, you're tightening it too much and can expect the increased side load on your bearings to cause premature failure. Likewise, if you're stripping the pinch bolts, that means that you're tightening them too much also. If you do strip them, consider yourself lucky; the alternative is that you strip the fastener(s) in the crank arm itself. I think that those would be much harder to replace.

If you're looking for something to replace consider (eventually) replacing either the bearings or cups with those from Enduro Fork Seals. Enduro also sells a nice tool for installing the cups. Unlike the tool from Park, the tool sold by Enduro Fork Seals can be used with a torque wrench.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the advice guys.

I basically wanted the replacements for peace of mind, but I guess I'll just have to be more careful with the install. Still wanna source some longer m6 bolts and probably pick up a in./lbs torque wrench, so gonna have to visit home depot or something.

Also read about the enduro bearings before, but didn't know they came out with a complete bearing cup replacement til now. Looks like I know where to look now when my bearings go bad. Thanks

mtbr member
    Thing with the longer bolts is that you will have to bench grind the diameter of the head smaller to fit in the holes in the crank. the stock ones are sorta special. nice upgrade though.edit; save yourself some money, you don't need a torque wrench to put on and take off the Saints.

Still wanna source some longer m6 bolts

Can I ask why?
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Bikin:

On the Park BBT-9 tool, referring to the end with the Torx for installing the crank arm fixing bolt, is the tool metal or Nylon? I have had trouble with the so called "durable nylon" fixing cap when removing a cap which has been torqued too tight and I end up breaking the nylon tool. I'm looking to get somthing more durable that can remove a tight cap and then just take it easy on the installation.

Thanks

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by katman11
    On the Park BBT-9 tool, referring to the end with the Torx for installing the crank arm fixing bolt, is the tool metal or Nylon? I have had trouble with the so called "durable nylon" fixing cap when removing a cap which has been torqued too tight and I end up breaking the nylon tool. I'm looking to get somthing more durable that can remove a tight cap and then just take it easy on the installation.
    The portion of the BBT-9 tool for installing and removing end caps is non-metallic; it could be nylon, but I don't really know.

Enduro Fork Seals sells a pair of metallic tools, one for installing/removing the end cap, and the other for installing/removing the cups. See: http://www.enduroforkseals.com/id122.html.