pain don't hurt

Need help picking a BB/crankset

So as of late my bike is creaking when I pedal moderate to hard. It might be nothing, might be something. Anyway the components are year old OE on a Rockhopper, so they're not exactly super-high end. So I figure might as well replace it all.
    I have some questions, kinda a newb at this:

From what I understand, you need to have you're cranks/BB compatible--i.e. if you have splined BB, you need splined cranks. My BB is square taper, can I switch to splined if I switch cranks too?

What are the different measurements of the BB indicating? Mine says 68x118. If I use a 113 instead, what does that change? Chainline??

This is all the info I know about my BB, as per Spec. site.
    Truvativ, 68x118mm, square taper, sealed cartridge bearing with double crank stops

Looking at possibly getting this for the replace. Pretty expensive, is it overkill?

Truvativ Holzfeller Crankset 22/32/44 w/ Giga Pipe DH BB Combo

Thanks everyone!

Gravity Rides Everything
    use cotter cranks. they are awesome.

Meh.
    What kind of riding do you plan on doing, and how much do you want to spend?

118 is the overall length of the bottom bracket spindle. Going from a 118 mm bb width to a 113 mm bb width will bring the chainline in closer to the frame. I'm not sure if you'll have any clearance issues... But I doubt it. The 68 means that the bottom bracket shell is 68 mm wide. Most 73 mm shells come with spacers to reduce the width to that of a 68 mm shell.

The creaking can probably be pretty easily remedied. Have your shop do a bottom bracket overhaul, pack the thing full of grease, tighten the chainring bolts, and torque everything down to spec.

Meh.
    What kind of riding do you plan on doing, and how much do you want to spend?

118 is the overall length of the bottom bracket spindle. Going from a 118 mm bb width to a 113 mm bb width will bring the chainline in closer to the frame. I'm not sure if you'll have any clearance issues... But I doubt it. The 68 means that the bottom bracket shell is 68 mm wide. Most 73 mm shells come with spacers to reduce the width to that of a 68 mm shell.

The creaking can probably be pretty easily remedied. Have your shop do a bottom bracket overhaul, pack the thing full of grease, tighten the chainring bolts, and torque everything down to spec.

pain don't hurt
    I ride xc mostly. Nothing too crazy. But, I want some quality parts, I don't necessarily mind paying a little extra to get it (within reason). I just want stuff that'll last.

I'm leaning toward just replacing everything cuz the the components aren't very good, and they're bound to explode sooner or later (probably sooner).

Meh.
    The Holzfeller is really more of a freeride/downhill crank.

Check out the RaceFace Evolve XC with the x-type bottom bracket. Light, strong, and stiff. X-type bottom bracket allows for the use of larger bearings, which means the bearings last longer. X-type bottom bracket also allows for the use of a bigger spindle, which helps increase stiffness and strength.

http://www.raceface.com/components/c...vexc-crank.htm

Also check out the Hollowtech II Shimano XT and LX cranks, they also utilize the x-type bottom bracket.

1x9'er
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by XSL_WiLL
    The Holzfeller is really more of a freeride/downhill crank.

Check out the RaceFace Evolve XC with the x-type bottom bracket. Light, strong, and stiff. X-type bottom bracket allows for the use of larger bearings, which means the bearings last longer. X-type bottom bracket also allows for the use of a bigger spindle, which helps increase stiffness and strength.

http://www.raceface.com/components/c...vexc-crank.htm

Also check out the Hollowtech II Shimano XT and LX cranks, they also utilize the x-type bottom bracket.
    I second what WiLL said. I have the Race Face Evolve XC x-type cranks/bb on my bike and am very happy with them. Mine were $150, but Supergo has them on sale now for $100. That's a really good deal .

Natural body armor

I was thinking about Shimano XT stuff...

... but I keep reading bas reviews and comments.

I have a Rockhopper FSR-XC disc '03 and planning on same upgrades (drivetrain) including front and rear derailleur (right now Deore and Deore LX stuff).
    Never had big issues with Deore (I'm doing regular XC stuff)

What's your experience with Raceface? How do they compare in weight with XT crankset and BB?

I have the Specialized Strongarm II crankset now. It's light and nice, but still is squared taper, so won't go with a new type BB.
    "There is no A-line"
    Quadzilla - On-One USA

Meh.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zen_Turtle
    ... but I keep reading bas reviews and comments.

I have a Rockhopper FSR-XC disc '03 and planning on same upgrades (drivetrain) including front and rear derailleur (right now Deore and Deore LX stuff).
    Never had big issues with Deore (I'm doing regular XC stuff)

What's your experience with Raceface? How do they compare in weight with XT crankset and BB?

I have the Specialized Strongarm II crankset now. It's light and nice, but still is squared taper, so won't go with a new type BB.
    Shimano's x-type bottom brackets aren't sealed as well as RaceFace's. That problem is easily remedied. Specialized Strongarm cranks suck. Sorry to put it so bluntly. But they do. You'll be hardpressed to find any decent square taper cranks. Everything is either ISIS or x-type now. And ISIS is starting to die out too.

Deore and LX are fine. All Shimano products are the exact same in design across the board. Only difference is in the materials used to save weight or reduce friction.

1x9'er
    Jul 2005
    The way I understand it, the Race Face Evolve XC is similar to Deore LX and the Duess XC is similar to Deore XT. I believe the XT is higher priced. Duess is on sale at Supergo for $220 and Evolve is on sale there for $100. No complaints from me about my Evolve XC's .

pain don't hurt
    pricepoint has the evolve xc for 140, which I think is a good deal. It's less than what I was expecting to pay for the BB/crank combo, which means more money for other things.

Thanks for all the advice!

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Bullseye cranks

I use Bullseye cranks. The 210 mm are as light as the 175 Shimano they replaced. Plus 10% more torque.
    see Bullseye-cranks.com