mtbr member

Need help on installing Chain Guide (MRP LRP)!!!

As recommended by Santa Cruz Website, I bought a MRP LRP for my Nomad Carbon. I used a XT dual chain ring. The problem is that the chain does not seat on the chain roller when I switched the gear to smaller chain ring, but it seat nicely on the larger chain ring.

Deeply appreciate your help!

When the chain is at lowest chain ring:

When the chain is at higher chain ring:

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    I believe it's because the guide is meant to be used as a 1x set up or SS. Not meant for shifting rings up front. Why do you have it?

Huckin' trails
    I have a dual chainring setup on my FR bike and I had 2 chain guide options. The one at $150 or the Truvativ Shiftguige chain guide at $50. I took the last one in BB mount option and got my mech installed it. A bit of resistance and maybe loud, but it does the job well and looks like yours. And work the same way as yours too. Chain should move onto the roller when you shift your fd.

It's normal. To keep the chain the closest possible to the chainring. And normally the outer edge of the roller should be in contact with the crank's bash to make the roller turn similar as the crank to allow smooth operation. Adjust it and let it seat itself for a few hours of riding, then check back for adjustments to the roller position.

David
    Quote Originally Posted by NicoleB28 View Post
    topless. that's what all mtb girls do. we go ride, get topless, have pillow fights in the woods, scissor, then ride home!

Huckin' trails
    Look
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Need help on installing Chain Guide (MRP LRP)!!!-imageuploadedbytapatalk1321340149.096293.jpg  

topless. that's what all mtb girls do. we go ride, get topless, have pillow fights in the woods, scissor, then ride home!

mtbr member
    Mucky, the guide is recommended by Santa Cruz website for Nomad Carbon that use dual chain rings. I was puzzled by the chain tension roller design as it only accommodate single chain position. Should I get a separate chain tension roller for dual ring position?

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by chris9888 View Post
    Mucky, the guide is recommended by Santa Cruz website for Nomad Carbon that use dual chain rings. I was puzzled by the chain tension roller design as it only accommodate single chain position. Should I get a separate chain tension roller for dual ring position?
    1 problem might be that you are using a triple crank. Dual and triple cranks are different. A dual crank's inner ring will be farther away from the BB by about 5-10mm. I still don't think that would solve your problem as it look as though that guide is meant for a 1x set up. If there was a way to get rollers with a wider channel, that would work. By the pics, it almost looks like the guide would work if you used your middle and outer rings. I would try that first just to see if it would accommodate a 2 ring setup. Or try a couple 2.5mm spacers on the BB. It also looks like there is some kind of washer on the inside of the roller. I would take the roller off and remove the washer/spacer, if it will come off.
    There are chain tensioners that mount to the chainstay. I'm still curious why you need one.

Quote Originally Posted by David C View Post
    I have a dual chainring setup on my FR bike and I had 2 chain guide options. The one at $150 or the Truvativ Shiftguige chain guide at $50. I took the last one in BB mount option and got my mech installed it. A bit of resistance and maybe loud, but it does the job well and looks like yours. And work the same way as yours too. Chain should move onto the roller when you shift your fd.

It's normal. To keep the chain the closest possible to the chainring. And normally the outer edge of the roller should be in contact with the crank's bash to make the roller turn similar as the crank to allow smooth operation. Adjust it and let it seat itself for a few hours of riding, then check back for adjustments to the roller position.
    Also, there is no way that the chain should be on top of the roller. It is meant to fit in the channel of the roller. And why should the roller touch the bash guard? If it contacts the guard, the roller will turn backwards, in the opposite direction of the chain.
    Last edited by mucky; 11-14-2011 at 11:35 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mucky View Post
    1 problem might be that you are using a triple crank. Dual and triple cranks are different. A dual crank's inner ring will be farther away from the BB by about 5-10mm. I still don't think that would solve your problem as it look as though that guide is meant for a 1x set up. If there was a way to get rollers with a wider channel, that would work. By the pics, it almost looks like the guide would work if you used your middle and outer rings. I would try that first just to see if it would accommodate a 2 ring setup. Or try a couple 2.5mm spacers on the BB. It also looks like there is some kind of washer on the inside of the roller. I would take the roller off and remove the washer/spacer, if it will come off.
    There are chain tensioners that mount to the chainstay. I'm still curious why you need one.
    I see, thanks for the note.

My chain drops quite frequently due to my aggressive ride. I thought chain guide might be a good idea. Not not sure about chain tensioners, will certainly do more research on that.

mtbr member

David
    Thanks David. I installed the chain guide myself as it looks pretty straight forward. Initially I had the same thought as you, but the more I look at it, the more it looks incorrect.

Let's see how it perform this weekend test ride.

mtbr member
    Reinstall the chain guide again:

1. Removed the middle and low chain rings

2. Cleaned, greased and installed the two chain rings and bash guard

3. Installed the chain guide and chain tensioner

4. Installed the complete crank assembly into the BB

Test ride around the neighborhood, the gear shiftings (both FD and RD) were quick, precise and surprisingly silence. The ride was notoriously more quiet than without the chain guide! Rode down the staircase to simulate rock garden, I was speechless. It was stiff and quiet. Should have installed the chain guide long ago.

Will do final testing this weekend on trail.

RIP Friendgirl
    The chain will be in the channel of the roller ONLY when you're in the middle ring. When in granny/small chainring the chain is designed to ride on the raised inner shoulder on the roller. THIS IS NORMAL.

Don't like it? Buy a non-stepped roller.
    SPD pedals are an absolute menace to the well-being of the world, and ought be banned immediately.

Huckin' trails
    Quote Originally Posted by Bordershy View Post
    The chain will be in the channel of the roller ONLY when you're in the middle ring. When in granny/small chainring the chain is designed to ride on the raised inner shoulder on the roller. THIS IS NORMAL.

Yep.

You already had the right setup before taking everything apart lol

And glad you're happy with your chain guide. It costed me a rd and a hanger to learn about them

David

RideDirt
    Thats normal for sure , think about the angle of the chain when your on the smallest or biggest ring .. Mine does the same unless im within the angle range .

mtbr member
    Dec 2010

The chain is not designed to do this. The design of the chain has nothing to do with it.

Huckin' trails
    The chain is not designed to do this. The design of the chain has nothing to do with it.
    He meant the chain guide is design to get the chain onto each part of the roller depending on the chainring being used. Don't troll pls

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    This may be normal for a 2 ring set up, and it's fine if you guys are happy and it's working for you. But the guide is meant to be used as a 1 ring set up and is by no means normal based on the design of the roller. By the looks of the pics, the chain will rub on the mounting plate, if out of the channel. That can't be good for the guide or the chain. If the roller floated, that would be ideal. Also, If the guide was meant for the chain to ride outside the channel, there would be no channel.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    He meant the chain guide is design to get the chain onto each part of the roller depending on the chainring being used. Don't troll pls
    I'm not trolling, and how do you, or I, know what he meant. And the roller is not designed for the chain to come out of the channel. Saying it is, would mean that it would be designed for the chain to ride on the outside of the roller too. Then it will fall off. Like I said, it may work for you guys, and that's great, but it is not intended to have the chain out of the channel of the roller.

Huckin' trails
    I'm not trolling, and how do you, or I, know what he meant. And the roller is not designed for the chain to come out of the channel. Saying it is, would mean that it would be designed for the chain to ride on the outside of the roller too. Then it will fall off. Like I said, it may work for you guys, and that's great, but it is not intended to have the chain out of the channel of the roller.
    It is intended in the case of a dual chainring setup to have the chain in the lower channel while on the mid chainring and on the higher, innermost edge of the roller while running in the granny ring. Then the bash makes contact with the outermost edge of the roller to make it spin at the same rate as the chain is moving to provide smooth operation of the roller.

David

mtbr member
    quoted from MRP's manual for this LRP chainguide:
    The chain position on the roller should follow the chainring you are currently using. For example, if you are in the middle chainring, the chain should stay in the groove of the
    roller when pedaling forward and backward. Similarly, if in the granny ring, the chain
    should step up onto the inside shoulder of the roller and stay there while pedaling
    forward and backward.

RideDirt
    Quote Originally Posted by boomn View Post
    quoted from MRP's manual for this LRP chainguide:
    Just sayin..... Dont argue too much Mucky lol

mtbr member

I got it, cheers

mtbr member
    Yep.

You already had the right setup before taking everything apart lol

And glad you're happy with your chain guide. It costed me a rd and a hanger to learn about them

David
    I actually enjoy doing it. Peace of mind

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by aedubber View Post
    Thats normal for sure , think about the angle of the chain when your on the smallest or biggest ring .. Mine does the same unless im within the angle range .
    Got it, cheers!

mtbr member
    Boomn, thanks for the quote from MRP manual. It certainly helps to ease my mind. The ride was awesome, no longer worry about chain drop. I adore the quietness. Worth every penny.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chris9888 View Post
    Boomn, thanks for the quote from MRP manual. It certainly helps to ease my mind. The ride was awesome, no longer worry about chain drop. I adore the quietness. Worth every penny.
    Glad to help. Here is the full manual online