Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

need help with crank spacing

659 views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  FBinNY 
#1 ·
I just put together my new/used frame, an older azonic steelhead and am having some spacing issues. It has a 68mm bb and here are the cranks and bottom bracket I'm using.

cranks: Truvativ Hussefelt 2.2 RG
http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/161...nkset-2008.htm

bottom bracket: Truvativ Howitzer XR 68/73-56mm
http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/155...acket-2008.htm

On the 22t ring on the crankset...it shifts through all the rear cogs perfectly and the chain alignment looks good. On the 32t ring it shifts through the 3rd-8th cogs fine, but on the top 2 cogs on the back (32t and 28t) the alignment is horrible and it throws the chain on the front back down to the 22t ring.

I've toyed around with the spacers that came with the bottom bracket and tried different spacer configurations and it went from terrible chain alignment, to the problem I'm currently having. If it makes a difference, I'm planning on using a front derailleur (it's on it's way to me) instead of a chain guide. I'd like to get this problem solved without further spending any cash or changing any of the parts I have currently since I'm on a small budget with this build. I don't have a LBS that's easily accessible to take the bike to. Sorry for the lengthy post, but any tips?

Thanks!

See less See more
#3 ·
Yes, there is roughly 3/4 to 1 inch of clearance between the crank arms/chainwheel and the chainstays. There are, what appear to be, aluminum spacers on each side of the BB...they look to be about 5mm thick and there's one on each side between the crank arm and the BB. Judging from the clearance I see, it looks like the crank could be moved in more. I just didn't wanna chance messing up a new crank without asking first.

#4 ·
It definately looks like you have the room to move the right arm in a bit.

Typical chainline for a mountain bike is 47-50mm from the middle chainring to the centerline of the frame, so if yours is more than that you'll benefit from moving it in a bit.

My knowledge of the various BB systems and the spacers is a bit limited (hopefullly someone with specific knowledge will chime in) but I'm fairly certain you can transfer the right spacer to the left side, maintaining the same total spacing while moving the right inboard. Check the instructions for your particular BB to be sure. You might also find guidance at the mfrs website.

If after improving chainline as best as possible you still have problems, PM me and I'll give you some off-book suggestions for DIY improvements.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.