That'll Buff Out

need help choosing new cranks

i have a ironhorse warrior that has the truvativ x-flows on it which after two weeks are creaking and came loose on the left side(the bolt just backed out a bit) but i tightened it and am thinking that im gonna buy a new one around $100 because my friend has them too and his feel like there going to snap and he has had his db for about 2 years but i want to get stronger ones and i was thinkin about race face or shimano but im looking around and found some good deals but what should i probably buy, i would like strong ones and a little lighter then the x-flows but i dont need it too light

mtbr member
    i just replaced my rf diabolus with shimano saint and they are real nice and a breeze to fit.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    If you are going for external bottom bracket designs, stick with Shimano. From what I have heard and seen, there are many issues with Race Face, Truvativ, and FSA outboard bearing designs. The bearings start creaking within 1 week for many people. I have a friend who races and he went through one deus bb every week. He could not stand it and went back to the octalink design.

local trails rider
    I think it is not unusual for new cranks to need retightening after a while. Unless you absolutely need to spend the money, see if your current cranks settle down.

I have tightened my single ring Saints twice (I have a chain guide adapter as the drive side spacer, which does not help). It has been rock solid for months now.

"Its All Good"
    Quote Originally Posted by hankthetank
    If you are going for external bottom bracket designs, stick with Shimano. From what I have heard and seen, there are many issues with Race Face, Truvativ, and FSA outboard bearing designs. The bearings start creaking within 1 week for many people. I have a friend who races and he went through one deus bb every week. He could not stand it and went back to the octalink design.
    Sheesh hankthetank, thats a big call... How many have you seen and heard, if we believed your statement, 3 companies would be out of business.....

I have the FSA K Force carbon cranks, had to retighten them when new when they were settling down. No issues at all...... Had for 2 years Race Face Deus cranks, no issues at all................

jsheffield069, as perttime mentions, I would retighten and see how they go. They should come good. If they are indeed duds, then look into purchasing new cranks...

But I have also had the Saint Cranks, really good. Except that Shimano when I bought them sent me a right crank arm that was 175 mm and a left that was 170 mm. No bull....
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    FSA, Truvativ, and RF are 3 different companies but their bottom brackets are all made by Tsien Hsing, which is FSA's name in Mandarin. Their bearing designs are fairly similar similar if not 100% the same. I work at a bike shop and sold the Rocky Mountain Solo 30AC. The guy came back a week later with a creaking BB after a 150km ride. Our head mechanic rode a RF Deus last year and he went through a BB every week. He is a cross country rider. He took the BB out and the cups looked like they were totally smashed and the bearings were totally trashed.(and he installed it properly with the pastic washer) My friends who race on Truvativ road carbon cranksets have the same issue as well. All three companies know about this issue that they are having. For now, I know that RF is just warrantying the new the external BB's but they are all looking for a solution to solve this problem.

That'll Buff Out
    yea well im taking my bike in for a tune up today but if i do get them it will be within the next month but im gonna ride them more and see how it goes im thinking of throwing some locktite on them so it will never come loose, that creaking just annoy's the hell out of me. My friend has the diamondback response i think, it has the same cranks my IH has and he has had it for a couple of years and for a while it was creaking and felt like it was about to snap in half but after he cleaned it there doin better and if it gets worse then im just oing to get new ones.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    i have notice some creaking on the LX hollowtech II cranks but I dont think it was from anything coming loose. I would avoid using the loctite, but thats up to you. My creaking seems to come from the outboard bbs so if i take it off, clean and grease evrything it is good for awhile and they are really simple to install and remove.

That'll Buff Out
    Quote Originally Posted by tron
    i have notice some creaking on the LX hollowtech II cranks but I dont think it was from anything coming loose. I would avoid using the loctite, but thats up to you. My creaking seems to come from the outboard bbs so if i take it off, clean and grease evrything it is good for awhile and they are really simple to install and remove.

yea i took it too get the tune up and i was told that it was the bottom bracket and he is gonna take it apart and check it out but if its smashed or something then they will get me a new set so i think it will all be fine