mtbr member
    Oct 2007

need help with chain, please

I'm trying to install a new chain. I've sized it correctly, etc. but I cannot get the Powerlink on. I know how to use a Powerlink once it is on but I can't the Powerlink pins through the chain. I actually tried one using a chain tool and broke it. I found a video that showed the guy literally sliding it through with no resistance at all. Any help would be much appreciated

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    The power link pins are the same diameter as the regular chain link pins and are a free slip fit into the inner plates, otherwise they'd cause a stiff inflexible link.

To my knowledge chains all use the same diameter pin, but it's possible that if it's another brand than Sram or Shimano your chain uses smaller pins, and the powerlink is incompatible.

Otherwise the only thing I can think of is that for some reason you're trying to force a powerlink pin through an outer plate on your chain. The power link is the outer link, so your chain would need to be cut so there's an inner link at each end.
    fb
    www.chain-L.com

The key to solving any problem is to understand and address the underlying cause.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Since you didn't specify, I'm gonna assume you are using a SRAM 9-speed powerlink (gold colored)...I'm also gonna assume you are using either a SRAM or Shimano 9-speed chain....right?

If that's the case, like FBinNY mentioned, the powerlink takes the place of an outer plate.....so you have to make sure the chain you are trying to connect has "inner" links on both ends....if it doesn't, you might need a chain breaker to remove any "outer" links that might be there already.

Next make sure the chain is fed correctly through the drive train. The tension on the derailleur makes it a bit trickier to install the powerlink because it will pull the ends apart....
    so f you are a noobie you will need someone to hold the ends of the chain together or take a 2-3 inch piece of coathanger, bend some hooks on both ends, and use it as a "hands-free" tool to hold the ends of the chain together....

So now put one of the pins on one of the powerlinks through one end of the chain.....now do the same on the opposite end.

Without letting the links fall out, line up both sides at the same time and squeeze them together at the same time, they should snap now pull the ends apart from each other to "lock" it....if the skin on your thumb gets caught in the powerlink you did it right....

To unlink, you press the link between your thumb and forefinger and slide the ends of the chain towards each other.

Come see me after class
    Dec 2005
    you basically bend the chain laterally to get the pins to snap into the lock plate.