mtbr member
    Mar 2006

need help breaking chain and resizing

i just replaced the cranks on my bike today along with the rear cassette. i put on a 3 ring crank but i took off the big ring and installed a bashguard in it's place. i'd also like to take off the small ring and install an n gear. in looking over the chain i didn't notice what i expected to see. back in my days of riding bmx there was always a chain link you could undo and remove the chain. i didn't find that today... that chain is continuous with no links that can be undone, or am i missing something? i'd like to undo the chain so i can remove the front derailleur and then i'd like to resize the chain since i'm no longer running the big front ring nor the 34 ring in the rear.

how do i break the chain? how do you determine how long the chain should be when resizing? how do i link the chain back to itself? sorry for the newbie questions.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Chain tool
    use one

mtbr member
    Oct 2006

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    ok, definatly got the chain breaking and reconnect... when on the big ring in back and front how far forward should the derailleur sit?

or should i not worry about that and do the large/large +2 length?

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Just use the large/large +2 length.

On Park Tool's chain length sizing page they also have pics of the RD with correct and incorrect length chains installed.