mtbr member

New question here. Need help adjusting front SRAM X9 derailleur

Hi, hope you guys can help me here. I have a 2x10 SRAM X9 setup. The problem I am having is that when I shift from small chainring to the large chainring, the chain sometimes jumps off the outside of the chainring, ie the chain is off and hanging off the crank. it sometimes happens at high speeds and can be dangerous. i have already adjusted the high limit screw and set the derailleur as close to the chain as possible, without touching it. So when in the highest gear, the chain almost rubs the front derailleur.
    It gets very scary to think that the chain might fall off everytime I shift from low to high gear in the front. how do i fix this?

mtbr member
    hmmm... no replies. is this a dumb question??? Is the answer listed somewhere else?
    Any help would be great. Thanks again.

mtbr member
    Not dumb, it's just that you've done what most would recommend. How about a pic of the setup in top ring?

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    IF the high limit is set properly, there SHOULD be no way for the chain to exit the ring to the outside.... UNLESS you have the derailleur clamped on the seat tube in the wrong position...

How much clearance do you have between the outer derailleur plate and the big chain ring... The instructions say something like 1-3mm, but the real setting should be:

As close as possible without causing a strike. If it is set this close and the high limit screw is set right, then the only other possible cause of a chain jump like that would be severely worn chain/chain rings... but I don't know how the chain could get outside the big ring...

POST PICTURES.

mtbr member
    Agree with Cautery........ If the high limit is set correctly.....ie...preventing outward lateral movement of the cage, then the height may be set up incorrectly. Find a combo of the two largest teeth on the big ring....yes, there are big medium and short teeth on your ring. Set up the height so there is 1mm between the bottom of the outer cage and the top of your two biggest chainring teeth. Again, if your high limit is set right, it should be immpossible to overshift to the outside of the big ring.