mtbr member
    Dec 2010

Need help with 2x9 front shifting

I am running a 2x9 setup on my bike. I have a 3 speed XO gripshifter and a 2x10 FD. I sometimes get the chain to over shift going onto the big ring. I have the limit screws set where they need to be, but I need an extra click in the shifter so the chain doesn't rub. I have it pretty good now, but am still a little worried about the chain coming off. I know that the FD being a 10 speed makes no difference. Would a 3x9 FD be better to run 2x9 rather than a dedicated 2x FD. I have no issues with my 10 speed grip shift, but wonder if the 2 speed FD moves different than a 3 speed FD.

Thanks

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

I had similar challenges with the front D on a 2x9 conversion. My issue was the cable was too tight when the derailleur was at rest in the small ring. Try this:

Unhook front cable.
    Make sure shifter is in the lowest position.
    Adjust front barrel adjuster near the middle position. Ensuring you can make the cable looser and tighter if needed.
    Adjust limit so the front D rubs the chain then back off.
    Reconnect the cable.
    Shift the front D into bigger ring and check height. You want less than 2mm clearance between cage and big ring.
    Set outer limit so the shifter won't even index. Can you shift the chain and hold it in the correct position? No rub?
    Adjust the outer limit but don't require an index. Just focus on the chain clearing the front D cage.
    To get the index you can loosen the cable via the barrel adjuster.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Adroit Rider View Post
    I had similar challenges with the front D on a 2x9 conversion. My issue was the cable was too tight when the derailleur was at rest in the small ring. Try this:

Unhook front cable.
    Make sure shifter is in the lowest position.
    Adjust front barrel adjuster near the middle position. Ensuring you can make the cable looser and tighter if needed.
    Adjust limit so the front D rubs the chain then back off.
    Reconnect the cable.
    Shift the front D into bigger ring and check height. You want less than 2mm clearance between cage and big ring.
    Set outer limit so the shifter won't even index. Can you shift the chain and hold it in the correct position? No rub?
    Adjust the outer limit but don't require an index. Just focus on the chain clearing the front D cage.
    To get the index you can loosen the cable via the barrel adjuster.

I have the set up down, thanks though. I'm really asking if a 3 speed FD has a different range of motion than a 2 speed FD. Or is a 2 speed shifter different than using a 3 speed as a 2 speed. I always thought the pull ratio was the same

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

Quote Originally Posted by mucky View Post
    I am running a 2x9 setup on my bike. I have a 3 speed XO gripshifter and a 2x10 FD. I sometimes get the chain to over shift going onto the big ring. I have the limit screws set where they need to be, but I need an extra click in the shifter so the chain doesn't rub. I have it pretty good now, but am still a little worried about the chain coming off.

Thanks
    You don't have it setup right.

Start over.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Adroit Rider View Post
    You don't have it setup right.

Start over.
    I appreciate the help, but I have it set up right. And loosening the barrel adjuster is not going to let me get another click while shifting up.
    My guess is that I was shifting the front while in 9th gear in the back.
    I still want to know if there is any difference between a 2 speed and a 3 speed FD for 2x set up.
    Last edited by mucky; 02-24-2013 at 04:17 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

http://cdn.sram.com/cdn/farfuture/qq...components.pdf

My interpretation of the compatibility chart is that all front derailleurs work with all front shifters.

You should be able to get better performance with no dropped chain and accurate indexing.

Setting up the front D isn't easy, ask A. Shleck's mechanic.

mtbr member
    If I remember correctly, SRAM 10 speed 2x stuff does not provide "trim" clicks any longer. If what you are saying is that you want an extra trim click to the "outside" of your big ring when in a high gear in rear, you should be able to adjust this with the barrel adjuster, then set your high limit screw. This will eliminate the need for another micro click.