Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Need Crank Assistance (Race Face)

664 views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  shiggy 
#1 ·
Hey all, first post, please be patient with me.

I've been out of biking for about 8yrs and am just now returning. A decade ago I built up a sweet all-mountain FS Cannondale with top of the line (at the time) Race Face crank set. I'm now dusting the cob webs off this bike and refreshing some parts including new frame (debating between B-LT or Mojo-SL, thoughts?).

Anyway, I would like to reuse the crank-set on my new frame if possible. Problem is the gearing never worked well and I no longer have any documentation or really know what the model is (10yrs is a long time). I run a 9spd cassette in the rear and the crank gearing is 1/22T, 2/32T, 3/44T. I very rarely use the entire 1st (small) sprocket and primarily ride on 2 & 3. There's a ton of overlap between the 2nd and 3rd sprocket with the 9sp rear, to the point where only about 3 cassette gears on the 3rd ring is usable with the rest overlapping the 2nd gear sprocket.

Is it possible or even worth it to reuse this crank set?
Can the crank be updated with better gear rings?
Maybe I'm better suited for a 2-speed crank?

All opinions appreciated.

See less See more
#3 ·
Looks like an old square taper Turbine...great crank. It uses the older 5 bolt 58/94 bolt pattern. You might consider setting it up as a 2 x 9 crankset since you rarely use the granny (1) gear. You might replace that middle with a 29t or 30t while using the existing outer. This leaves a large gap between 2 and 3 but you will not have the granny so you will spend more time in each. If you wanted, you could replace the outer 44t with a 42t or even a 40t to narrow the gap.

#5 ·
mtnbiker72 said:
Looks like an old square taper Turbine...great crank. It uses the older 5 bolt 58/94 bolt pattern. You might consider setting it up as a 2 x 9 crankset since you rarely use the granny (1) gear. You might replace that middle with a 29t or 30t while using the existing outer. This leaves a large gap between 2 and 3 but you will not have the granny so you will spend more time in each. If you wanted, you could replace the outer 44t with a 42t or even a 40t to narrow the gap.
This is perfect info, thanks! :thumbsup:

I think I'll pursue the 2x9 setup and replace the middle gear with a 29/30 as you suggested. Worst case I can just swap back the original 22/32/44 gears if I don't like it.

Any idea where I can source a 5-bolt 58/94 gear with a 29/30t?

#6 ·
xcntrk75 said:
This is perfect info, thanks! :thumbsup:

I think I'll pursue the 2x9 setup and replace the middle gear with a 29/30 as you suggested. Worst case I can just swap back the original 22/32/44 gears if I don't like it.

Any idea where I can source a 5-bolt 58/94 gear with a 29/30t?
The 30t will be easier to find. Look for a 30t-94 ring. Does not need to be ramped or pinned.

Salsa rings are good http://aebike.com/product-list/salsa-b359/chainrings-t203-qc30/
Surly 30-94 rings do not work with 9-sp chains, though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.