Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

need chainring advice

600 views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  zarr 
#1 ·
I have a 5-bolt 58x94mm crank and want to use a 46 tooth outer ring.Can I still use my 32 tooth middle ring, or do I have to go up to a 34 tooth? I want to use a 22 tooth inner. Do I have to go up to a 24 tooth? I heard there should be no more than a 12 tooth difference between rings,and some have advised me that it could be done as long as there is no derailleur/frame issues.

#2 ·
What front derailleur do you have? Is this a hardtail of FS bike?

There's a max total tooth count difference limit of 22T from smallest to biggest on most front derailleurs. So a 46T big ring would generally mean that you need a 24T granny and a 34T middle. The problem will likely be that once the cage is set to clear the 46T ring the chain will rub on the bottom of the cage when in the granny.

#3 ·
This is a hardtail.As long as I can use the 32/46 combo,I'm ok with the 24t granny. Thanks. I forgot momentarily about fr. der. tooth capacities I learned about from 1-800 bike pro. I going to try to use an old xtr 950 front derailleur.---zarr

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.