mtbr member
    Apr 2013

Need advice with a shifter upgrade

Hi,

I've been using a department-store mountain bike as a daily commuter for a few years. In a recent accident I busted the left shifter (Shimano revo-shift) which was a triple shifter being used with an upgraded double crank (with the original Shimano triple derailleur). I'm now looking to change the shifter and I believe the Shimano ST-EF51 shifter/brake combo should be compatible. I'd like to replace the pair (not a big fan of the revoshifters frankly) - the rear derailleur is a 7 speed Tourney on an upgraded DNP Epoch 11-28 freewheel (7 speed).

Am I okay to proceed with ordering the ST-EF51s? Is there a better option for a 2x7? I really don't want to put much money into the bike. Is there any issue with using a triple shifter on a triple derailleur/double crank setup? Can the shifter be "locked" into double mode?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    I prefer Acera M-310 but you have to buy brake levers as well, which are cheap. The M310 is a rapidfire lever rather than an easyfire and is just a bit more robust and crisp. They are available at many places, but a link to Amazon is below. You need to buy right and left separately. There should be no issue using 2 ring or 3 ring.

Amazon.com: Shimano Acera SL-M310 Rapid Fire Shifter, Right (Black, 7-Speed): Sports & Outdoors

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by RSabarese View Post
    I prefer Acera M-310 but you have to buy brake levers as well, which are cheap. The M310 is a rapidfire lever rather than an easyfire and is just a bit more robust and crisp. They are available at many places, but a link to Amazon is below. You need to buy right and left separately. There should be no issue using 2 ring or 3 ring.

Amazon.com: Shimano Acera SL-M310 Rapid Fire Shifter, Right (Black, 7-Speed): Sports & Outdoors

The M310s plus a pair of brake levers are really much more expensive that the ST-EF51s - Are the rapidfires a big enough upgrade to justify the additional cost? No issues for compatibility with my current setup? (ie 2 x 7, tourney 7sp derailleur / DNP epoch freewheel in the back, cheap Shimano triple derailleur / double crankset in the front). Can the left shifter be "locked" to effectively be a double shifter?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    The ergonomics of rapidfire are both triggers below the handlebar as opposed to the upshift (small lever to drop to smaller cog) lever above the bar on EF 51. To me, it's harder to shift and the EF-51 levers feel odd on bikes I have worked on, but all I use are rapidfire. SLX is the lowest level that has a mode switch to 2X, Deore will for 2014 based on what I saw on bike radar, but it's 10 speed only. To use M310 or EF-51m you need to use the derailleur limit screws. I installed the m310's on her 24" trek bike that came with grip shifters and tourney, I don't see any reason it won't work. I hope this helped!

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    It did and I've ordered a pair of M310s - thanks!