mtbr member
    Mar 2006

Need advice on Derailleur hanger alignment!!!

I just used a derailleur hanger alignment guage and discovered my hanger is out by 2mm horizontally. I checked it because I can't get my derailleur to keep quiet on steep climbs.

My question is that too much? Is 2mm important?

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Are you talking about Parks DAG-1, Derailleur Hanger Alignment Gauge ?
    If so you use the gauge itself as a lever to bend the hanger back in position.
    Make sure that you measure from the same spot on the rim by turning the tire and measure on the rim below the valve stem. Just a little push or pull on the end of the guage will bend it into position.

2mm is definately not that important. 2mm come on... what are you, a roadie? But for the heck of it bend it back and see if it quiets down.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Yes, I am using the park tool. I am afraid to bend it, the instructions with the tool say to not try and bend aluminum hangers. Its on my Santa cruz SL, I've tried everything to get the rear derailleur to quiet down on steep climbs, but nothing works.

I tried:

1. Different rear wheel.
    2. Different rear derailleur
    3. Different chain

I haven't tried:

1. Aligning/bending derailleur
    2. Changing chain line - mine looks pretty good as is.

mtbr member
    Doesn't your bike have a replaceable hanger? Then, so what if it breaks (which it probably won't). If it does, just replace it. I bent the hanger on my Fisher and it was out quite a bit more than yours. 2mm doesn't sound like it's very much out though.

mtbr member
    Bend it - it'll take it!

Vaginatarian
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by tolleyman
    Yes, I am using the park tool. I am afraid to bend it, the instructions with the tool say to not try and bend aluminum hangers. Its on my Santa cruz SL, I've tried everything to get the rear derailleur to quiet down on steep climbs, but nothing works.

I tried:

1. Different rear wheel.
    2. Different rear derailleur
    3. Different chain

I haven't tried:

1. Aligning/bending derailleur
    2. Changing chain line - mine looks pretty good as is.
    thats legal speak for "if you break it you own it" most hangers are aluminum, pick up a spare and if it breaks use it

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dan0
    thats legal speak for "if you break it you own it" most hangers are aluminum, pick up a spare and if it breaks use it
    Most are pretty soft and cheap aluminium. About the only bikes that won't take a healthy amount of "adjustment" are from the big C Also, 2mm will absolutely make a difference.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006

Hanger

The hanger on my 2003 Santa Cruz SL is not replaceable, if it breaks I either weld a new one on to it , or go single speed.

MTBR Demi-God
    2mm shouldnt be a significant change. If required, you can offset the derailleur by adjusting the limit screws. But if you still want to remove the bend, (I salute you purist), then I would recommend getting a new one and place it in. Then, when you have time, straighten the older hanger and keep as a spare.